Cyl head/valve cover/intake clearances

-

jimynick

Reaction score
I'm using A/M aluminum heads and a air-gap type intake and Mopar Performance cast valve covers with the thick (.200") cover gaskets, and I seem to have some interference between the intake runner ends and the valve covers. When seated with regular Fel Pro intake gaskets the intake runners are a little (1/16") proud of the head gasket rail and seem to either touch or be very close to the rim of the valve cover, to where it looks like the covers wouldn't pull down enough to properly seal. My instinct is to file down the upper edge of the intake's runner that 1/16th and if that doesn't do enough, then grind/file relieve the edge of the valve cover to get clearance. Any further suggestions or solutions? All donations will be gratefully accepted. Thx.!

It's commonplace to grind that short vertical lip down where it meets the intake runners. People have had to do it for decades.

I had to really grind down my Weiand Steath a lot, use the thickest Moroso blue gasket and a 3/8" spacer to get my cast Edelbrock valve coverts to fit with my Speed Master heads. There is a guy on Ebay who sells the spacers.

What are A/M heads?

I had to grind the valve covers as noted above to clear a Super Victor on Eddie heads. And I also used the thick blue Moroso gaskets.

I had to grind the valve covers as noted above to clear a Super Victor on Eddie heads. And I also used the thick blue Moroso gaskets.
Preach it brother. I don't know why people buy any other kind of valve cover gaskets. Them things last forever. I just wish they made one for the slant 6.

-
Back