Cylinder head mods for Blowers

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The recent blower thread has me thinking. I know with turbos, big head porting is not 100% necessary. But what about with a roots blower? How much difference will porting make? Is it really a necessary thing for forced induction? What about valve sizes? Thoughts?

I just this question about turbos....would imagine it applies to all forced induction...."Turbos don't make the air speeds inside of any engine increase, the only make the air more dense. At some point you will reach the limit of the pistons and possibly head deck strength, but that limit will be determined more by tune than by the amount of boost or power it's making."

That's the thing about roots blowers - by their very nature they overcome some of the inherit "limitations" you'd find in a naturally aspirated engine. To quote from the book, Street Supercharging p. 105 (note:this is street not racing): As far as port size, port shape, and valve size is concerned, as long as they aren't so small that they will strangle the blower's boost, leave them the way the are.

I was hoping to start a discussion. lol

I had heard that porting everything would potentially lower the actual boost pressure you see, but not necessarily reduce power. The thought being that if you have a smooth setup you can flow better and therefore won't see the same sort of "backpressure" if you will, so the manifold pressure looks lower. However, since the pump is a pump (roots, turbo, centrifugal, etc.), if all the valves are closed, you'd see the same static pressure (whatever the pressurizing device is capable of). Dynamic pressure is a whole other animal and a little harder to get a feel for. There will be pumping losses associated with moving any fluid through any area. That would mean that you may potentially see a different pressure depending on where you put a gauge. Directly after the blower output may get you a marginally different pressure than right before the intake valve. However, boost numbers are so low and flow paths so short that I don't think you'd see much restriction. This is just stuff I remember from my engineering classes though, so I can't really say for sure how things actually work out in an engine.

Regardless, porting and such will always be of some benefit, regarless of induction type. In the case of a forced induction setup, you can potentially just use the advantage of a pressurized intake to overcome the inefficiency of the intake setup, but if you increase the efficiency of the flow, you won't have to work the blower as hard to begin with to move as much air. Changing a pulley or wastegate is likely way cheaper than porting your intake and head setup though, so it probably makes more sense to just put up with the flow losses of a less efficient intake runner.

To put it simply, you can blow X amount of air through a straw. If you have a bigger straw, you don't have to blow as hard to move the same amount of air. However, if you want to move more air and can't afford a bigger straw, you can just blow harder (within the limits of your lungs).

Porting is not necessary but will help.
In a NA engine port flow and velocity are important.
In a boosted application port volume and bowl work will help. A 3 angle vavle job will help too.
I myself run unported heads.
As stated above cam timing events pay a big role in boost pressures.
A wide LSA is recommended.
I have run a 108 cam in a 9.5 to 1 CR blower engine. Total mismatch but the overlap kept the combustion chambers cool. I ran 6PSI of unintercooled Roots boost with a 150 shot of N2O.

In a boosted application port volume and bowl work will help. A 3 angle vavle job will help too.
I have run a 108 cam in a 9.5 to 1 CR blower engine. Total mismatch but the overlap kept the combustion chambers cool. I ran 6PSI of unintercooled Roots boost with a 150 shot of N2O.

How does your set up run? Any 1/4 mile time slips?

On an old school Mopar remanufactured short block engine (9.5CR, .509 cam 108LSA) and box stock Edelbrock heads, I ran a 10.6@128 3800 pounds, 3.55 gears, street tires with pump gas.
I drove to the track, about 100 miles one way.
By no means was the car set up for all out track use, no cage, SS springs and stock front suspension.
Pretty much a budget build. The short block was 1000 bucks.

On an old school Mopar remanufactured short block engine (9.5CR, .509 cam 108LSA) and box stock Edelbrock heads, I ran a 10.6@128 3800 pounds, 3.55 gears, street tires with pump gas.
I drove to the track, about 100 miles one way.
By no means was the car set up for all out track use, no cage, SS springs and stock front suspension.
Pretty much a budget build. The short block was 1000 bucks.

Sounds like an old fashion hot rod to me......build it with what you got laying around.....

rusty this is to weird... i was thinking today if you could get the most volume in a port, regardless of cfm if it would make more power as its has less backpressure. terry on .org runs 1.8/1.6 valves

Well as I remember,the intake port choke point,essentially bumps the boost up,reduces horsepower. Relieved choke point,h.p goes up. (IIRC).

Well as I remember,the intake port choke point,essentially bumps the boost up,reduces horsepower. Relieved choke point,h.p goes up. (IIRC).

well right, but i mean taking a head and making it as physically big as it can go, roughly the same size as the valve all the way thru (or bigger) regardless on how it flows on the bench

Kinda,what I'm getting at.If the intake runner is pressurized ,yes. I was referring to the,biggest restriction in the intake manifold /head port.That could cause a false boost reading(high boost,on guage).Releasing that "choke point" could help.(on higher o.d setups). Ed,just trying to learn myself.

Kinda,what I'm getting at.If the intake runner is pressurized ,yes. I was referring to the,biggest restriction in the intake manifold /head port.That could cause a false boost reading(high boost,on guage).Releasing that "choke point" could help.(on higher o.d setups). Ed,just trying to learn myself.

hey no big,

-
Back