Cylinder wall Lubrication for short term storage?

-
I got a bottle of this stuff and it clings forever, turning into almost a brown wax. Wipe it off and it looks new underneath.
corrosionx.jpg

Its less than 5% solvent , WD-40 is 49.5%. It penetrates too when sprayed.

WD40? Seriously? WD40 sucks as a lubricant or rust protectant. That's not what it's for. For even short term it will evaporate and whatever it was on will rust.

Use Fluid Film. That's what it was made for.

WD40? Seriously? WD40 sucks as a lubricant or rust protectant. That's not what it's for. For even short term it will evaporate and whatever it was on will rust.

Use Fluid Film. That's what it was made for.
Plenty good for short term storage.

I know what it's for. I don't need their sales pitch. I've been using it since 1974. The thing with WD40 is, it is a water repellent. Nothing more. WD= Water Displacement. It removes water in the NOW. Then evaporates later. You can argue it all you want, but I am telling you the truth. I have used it a few times for even short term storage. The items I put it on rusted. It does not leave a film on anything long term. Trust me. Try the Fluid Film. You will like it.

I know what it's for. I don't need their sales pitch. I've been using it since 1974. The thing with WD40 is, it is a water repellent. Nothing more. WD= Water Displacement. It removes water in the NOW. Then evaporates later. You can argue it all you want, but I am telling you the truth. I have used it a few times for even short term storage. The items I put it on rusted. It does not leave a film on anything long term. Trust me. Try the Fluid Film. You will like it.
I am sure there are many fine products. As I posted earlier wd40 has another product specifically for long term storage.
My motor sat assembled with no heads on and a bag over it for a year. No rust on the cylinders. As another poster said, you have to shake the can and there is a wax in the mixture.
I read up on fluid film, looks like good stuff. It has a lanolin wax in it. The op asked for short term. Use what you like. That's just my recommendation and it works for me and others who posted here.

I am sure there are many fine products. As I posted earlier wd40 has another product specifically for long term storage.
My motor sat assembled with no heads on and a bag over it for a year. No rust on the cylinders. As another poster said, you have to shake the can and there is a wax in the mixture.
I read up on fluid film, looks like good stuff. It has a lanolin wax in it. The op asked for short term. Use what you like. That's just my recommendation and it works for me and others who posted here.

Oh I didn't see that. lol My bad...as they say. Yes he did ask for short term. But this stuff ain't cheap. It also ain't growin on trees anymore. Most of what we deal with here......cept for the later Hemi stuff was made prior to 1980, as that was the last of the big blocks in trucks, and of course the later LA engines and the Magnums. Even the Magnums now are becoming somewhat antiquated.

That's how it's always been with Chrysler it seems. They always made less "stuff" than anyone else, so their "stuff" was the first to start drying up. Kinda sucks......but it's kinda cool at the same time cause when you see an old Mopar, somebody has gone to some trouble to get it running and keep it running.

I sprayed these pulled '974' heads down with generic dielectric penetrating oil 2 years ago and put them on my unheated concrete garage floor 2 feet from the garage door with no bottom seal, plenty of exposed moisture. Patina only, wiped off with a oil rag. Not too bad for 2 plus years of just penetrating oil. These were rust free forever and just started to patina. Of course we had record rains recently too.
head2.jpg

I met the wife of the guy who invented wd40, she lives in La Costa. Shes in her late 90's. After I laid her vinyl bathroom floor...I noticed her screen door squeaked....so I came back with my can of wd40 from my truck and asked if she minded me spraying some on her screen door....she smiled and began telling me how her husband invented the stuff and it got the name cause it was like the 40th try or ...I can hardly remember the story, I know...lame, but I hear so many stories from the old people who were generals,admirals, ceo, astronautical engineers for NASA, president of Montgomery wards...you name it...even Tony Hawks mom before she went alzheimers dementia. You learn a ton and but cant remember it all.

Well, here's what I went with. Comp Cams Break in oil. With any luck the heads will be on next week. Setting up the roller rocker geometry was a little more time consuming than I expected. I went with Hugh's Engines adjustable roller rocker arms. They require shims underneath the shafts to center the tip of the roller on the valve. Then shimming for left / right center is required. Very time consuming.

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

That's why I recommend working with B3
back in the day we machined off the stands and made new taller backset ones\
that was with longer valves for 2" valvegear with or without roller rockers
remember centering perfect is of minor importance, small pattern is
COMP DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THIS (according to any tech I've ever seen on their website)

-
Back