D100 Slant 6 starts after 25 years

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This slant six is amazing!!! Here are a few recent activities. This truck was sitting since 1988 and I was making plans for rebuilding it or swapping for a V8. Not sure if this is possible but, the linkage bushings were gone and it seemed like manual transmission was stuck in reverse and 2nd. Anyway, after getting the clutch and Trans unstuck, I pulled a plug and see the previous owner had put oil in the cylinders. I changed the oil and crank the engine. The engine turns over but, no spark. I swap the points and discover the engine/chassis has no ground from a corroded cable. Now I have spark. I pour fuel down the carb and it starts after a few seconds of cranking. Now the amazing part……I put a temporary fuel tank and filter on it. Crank it for a few seconds and it fires right up. Then after several seconds of throttle coaxing the engine just idles, no sputtering, no dying. I let it idle for 20 minutes and get this NO smoke of any sorts!!! Odometer reads 41K. Valves are noisy. I'm just wowed, never saw anything like this.

Gotta love it! Smart move on the previous owners part by oiling the cylinders. Smart move by you to use a temporary tank and filter! What year truck? And ya pics too please !

Your name is 5th mopar and you haven't had a slanty yet? They are phenominal but honestly - any Mopar engine of the time is good for that - especially if it had a caring owner previously. One of my best cars was a 383 2bbl that was towed out of a field where it was sitting for 12 years. I failed state inspection for a bulb and a cut tire after I got it running - which took fresh gas in the tank... All you need is fuel, spark, and compression and it will fire. Oil pressure and coolant will keep it firing.

Have had similar experience with my wife's 66 dart with a slant 6. My first classic Mopar and probably one of the best motors I've dealt with. First time we went to look at it the seller had bought it from another couple who had stored it since 92, and hadn't ran it for another 13 year before that. He cleaned the tank out, changed the filters and whatnot and it turned right over. Engine was cold and he turned the key and it just fired right up.

I've had similar luck with older Ford motors too. When we bought our first Ranchero, a 78 with a 351m, it had been sitting for an unknown number of years and we just charged the battery and it fired right up. Ended up having to store it for another 4 years some time ago (before we sold it) and when we had to move it we did the same thing, just jumped the battery and away we went. The 289 in my 67 was a little more tricky, but still rock solid. The old Ford straight six on the other hand I have not had as much good luck with.

That truck is primo!`And that don't surprise me at all. I've seen plenty of Mopars fire up after sitting for a long time from being parked for stupid reasons. When I worked at the junkyard, we made a flathead 6 that hadn't fired for 30+ years fire up. it was in a '47 Chrysler.

-
Back