D100 slant build

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
since I almost have dads motor finished up, and my car is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I want to pull the slant out of my 69 d100 maybe the end of the summer and give it a nice rebuild.

This truck is just a driver that needs to get good mileage and I'll probably pull a trailer with a 4 wheeler or two on it. So I'd like to gear more towards lower rpm torque. I plan to keep the intake, 2 barrel carter, and exhaust manifold. But am open to suggestions. What would be a good cam to throw at this thing? Stock? Or is there a good aftermarket for this application?
If it matters it's a 3 speed manual
IMG_0078.JPG

Subscribed. I bought this one a few months ago and plan on doing the same thing. It has the four speed OD in it so it pulls pretty decent down low, but man, is the engine tired.
37D104CD-012D-4779-8D6B-675668CF8230_zpst0gis34g.jpg

Yea I don't have a tach, but what seems like around 3000rpm mine has a knock to it, I'm not so worried about it now since I'm going to re build it. The 4 speed oils be nice, I'm always trying to grab another gear after 3rd lol.... nice truck btw!

Thanks! Yeah, the OD is great for the highway, but it's basically a 3 speed around town. My engine is a Lean Burn engine that someone has ripped out the computers and all of the vacuum hoses. I have hoses and wiring harnesses hanging all over. I want to build a solid 225 that pulls good and we can get decent gas mileage on highway, no 4 barrels or header. My buddy thinks we can pull my car to the track with it. We'll see.

Lots of good info over at Slant Six Forum Many FABO members too!

Last edited:
Yea a good friend of mine has an old ford with a 300 six cylinder, he pulls a big camper and trailer with it. As long as it's relatively flat I don't see why the slant won't pull it!

It would be nice... pull these to the track behind the old d100!
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Oh, and your truck would look slick if it was gloss black like your car!

Maybe someday, but I like the patina look and I'm going to ride that fad out until it becomes uncool again! We do plan on lowering it quite a bit but still retain the original style springs. I don't haul a lot but use it occasionally for moving stuff. Maybe some cop car wheels. Let me finish the Dart before I start tearing the truck apart! lol

Dutra RV10-RDP cam, that is Oregon Cams № 2106R. Inexpensive, skillfully-ground, and a terrific torquer that won't run out of breath as early as the stock cam and won't disappoint you like Comp's junk.

Ignition: HEI upgrade with a thoughtfully-recurved distributor (get with DusterIdiot over on slantsix.org)

Stock exhaust manifold's not too bad if the heat riser valve works (all the way working) and you put a decent exhaust system in it. Dutra Duals are better without the hassles and drawbacks of headers. Exhaust system either way: 2-1/4" pipe off the stock manifold (or 2" pipe off of each of the Dutra Duals' outlets and intothis wye connector), 2-1/4" pipe into this muffler. It's in Walker's QuietFlow SS premium OE line, all stainless steel (which is nice for durability), made for the '01 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 so it's easily got the flow capacity for a healthy 225 and it's tuned to keep an inline-6's exhaust from droning, has a 2¼" inlet and outlet (can easily step down to a 2" tailpipe). The inlet has a 2-bolt flange meant to bolt directly to the outlet of the Jeep's catalytic converter, but there's plenty of length to the input pipe that the flange can just be sawed off in 5 seconds at the exhaust shop.

2" tailpipe with resonator. If I'm rich, I like a Flowmaster HP2 stainless unit with 2" in and out. It's 18" long, which is a workable fit behind most A-body quarter panels. If I'm broke, I like a Walker № 17198 4" round can-type unit, 2" in and 2" out, with offset outlet next to a proper hanger bracket.

(Tailspout outlet between 45° and 90° outward, and 45° or more downward.)

I got 23 on the highway. I'm talking stock /. These guys.are talking pulling trailers & cars. Slantsixdan is the resident expert here.

Yea I do drive it a lot, I'd like to get decent mileage regular driving, if I was pulling a trailer it is what it is....

This would be a cool swap for the slant, my wallet prolly wouldn't allow it tho haha
Cummins 2.8... 160 horse 270 torque
IMG_0110.PNG

-
Back