Dakota 5.9L R/T super bee rebuild

-

dakota81

Reaction score
Pls be kind I'm new to performance and building a truck from ground up but I've been working on my own vehicles since I owned my first car at 16 and I've learned a lot over the yrs (now 42) doing my own work, but I dont know crap about performance parts or what's what and how to decide what to go with. I'm rebuilding a 2000 dodge dakota 5.9L R/T super bee, the body and frame is shot so I'm pulling the 5.9 motor, tranny, rear end, PCM, ECU and wiring harness (donor truck is complete)and once done I'm putting it all that into my 2002 dakota with an wore out 3.9 but a mint frame and body. Ive always dreamed about having a 2nd gen dakota lowered with a 5.9L with about 300-350 HP. But before I put everything from the 5.9 into my 02 I want to rebuild the motor (has 245,000km) and I've seem some rebuild kits that includes pistons, piston rings, all new bearings, frost plugs, timing chain and so on but when it comes to rebuilding a motor and adding more HP, I'm completely lost when it comes to performance parts and what to go with. It would greatly appreciated if some of you more experienced ppl in building up the 5.9L motor could give me some advice and tips on what to be looking at and where to look, I wanna expand my knowledge and build this truck from ground up on my own. My build limit is $3000 for motor, tranny and rear end. I know that's a low budget (in my eyes) for what I'd like to do but I'm in no rush so if it's a little over my budget it will just take longer lol. I'd greatly appreciate it if one of you fine mopar lovers can help me figure out what parts I should be looking at replacing and what to replace it with. I have a good idea what parts to replace just not what to replace them with. I think I've covered my plan well and all the details I know or have, if you have any questions to help me achieve my goal then pls ask away and I ty in advance for any and all tips

Any kind of performance stuff you'll do will most likely require a tuner. Since dodge had everything computer controlled and no mass air sensor that would compensate.
I have a 99 r/t cc with a better cam but never tuned it .
Before you pull that distributor make sure you make some locators so you can put it back exactly where it was, they don't use a timing light and that syncs fuel and spark...ask me how I know.
An r/t is one rough riding sob lowered, the other Dakotas respond better and ride nicer .
Hopefully this helps. But to me a computer controlled magnum engine is not one I'd invest much money into.
Have the heads magna fluxed because they crack 9/10 times

Welcome aboard and have fun doing what your doing.

1 tip…… paragraphs!

300-350 hp is pretty simple with a 5.9l regrind the factory cam to around 215-225 degrees, headers, factory beer barrel intake makes good street rpm torque but holds back upper rpm hp which ain't that big of a deal for the power your looking for, basically it just needs cam with good exhaust.

I have ported and shorted runners on my beer barrel intake from about 2800 up it's screaming (for a fuel injected magnum.
I relocated the intake temp sensor also that's good for about 2 mpg less lol.
The 46re definitely doesn't like to be beat on, ask me how I know...I've killed 4

Pls be kind I'm new to performance and building a truck from ground up but I've been working on my own vehicles since I owned my first car at 16 and I've learned a lot over the yrs (now 42) doing my own work, but I dont know crap about performance parts or what's what and how to decide what to go with. I'm rebuilding a 2000 dodge dakota 5.9L R/T super bee, the body and frame is shot so I'm pulling the 5.9 motor, tranny, rear end, PCM, ECU and wiring harness (donor truck is complete)and once done I'm putting it all that into my 2002 dakota with an wore out 3.9 but a mint frame and body. Ive always dreamed about having a 2nd gen dakota lowered with a 5.9L with about 300-350 HP. But before I put everything from the 5.9 into my 02 I want to rebuild the motor (has 245,000km) and I've seem some rebuild kits that includes pistons, piston rings, all new bearings, frost plugs, timing chain and so on but when it comes to rebuilding a motor and adding more HP, I'm completely lost when it comes to performance parts and what to go with. It would greatly appreciated if some of you more experienced ppl in building up the 5.9L motor could give me some advice and tips on what to be looking at and where to look, I wanna expand my knowledge and build this truck from ground up on my own. My build limit is $3000 for motor, tranny and rear end. I know that's a low budget (in my eyes) for what I'd like to do but I'm in no rush so if it's a little over my budget it will just take longer lol. I'd greatly appreciate it if one of you fine mopar lovers can help me figure out what parts I should be looking at replacing and what to replace it with. I have a good idea what parts to replace just not what to replace them with. I think I've covered my plan well and all the details I know or have, if you have any questions to help me achieve my goal then pls ask away and I ty in advance for any and all tips

Talk to the guys at UTAWSOME, they are GOOD people. All they do & have done since the small block Magnum engine (Dodge V10 too) was introduced in 92, is these engines. Marty, the founder/owner, will tell you exactly what to do & what is the best way to go for your 3 grand. I have gotten parts from them a few times for my Dakotas. I would first think about having that transmission remanufactured, (Not a rebuild!) they are a weak point of these vehicles. Better yet, put a Tremec 5 speed manual in it. A good re-maned transmission is key to holding up to the higher horsepower & will set you back $3000 alone (with new torque convertor, a must) they are a good trans if it's built right. The head cracking problem is common & is most likely a small crack between the intake & exhaust valves, not a big concern. A little more compression, port matching, a cam & a handheld tuner will get you there no problem. IMHO

I have ported and shorted runners on my beer barrel intake from about 2800 up it's screaming (for a fuel injected magnum.
I relocated the intake temp sensor also that's good for about 2 mpg less lol.
The 46re definitely doesn't like to be beat on, ask me how I know...I've killed 4

Have you killed a Dakota R/T trans?

I've heard from more than one credible source that they are built differently, although not sure how.

They were built during the era where it seemed no one could build a trans that lasted more than 50K.

However, I've found mine to be extremely durable.

I've driven it both like a race car and like a truck.

I've run plenty of back woods 1/8 and 1/4 miles hard, and I've towed more than one full size truck across the county and a several cars across the state.

177,000 and never rebuilt. In fact, never even had the pan off.

To the OP- I know it's a lot of work, but have you considered putting all the good stuff on the R/T cab?

That way it would still legally be a "real" R/T.

Re-framing is not for the faint of heart, but labor wise swapping the drive-train is starting to approach the same job.

These guys are fantastic, send them an ecu with your vin and current mileage, no need to visit a dealer or someone with a tuner. Call them and discuss your needs / desires they will set u
you up.

BG Chrysler

I have a 2000 r/t if your doing this swap take the trans with a real overdrive and the rear. it is a 3.91 in mine.

Dakota R/T 9 1/4 axles are actually 3.92:1 standard but could be ordered with a few different ratios.

3.55 & 4.10’s IIRC. But I don’t know what else.

Have you killed a Dakota R/T trans?

I've heard from more than one credible source that they are built differently, although not sure how.

They were built during the era where it seemed no one could build a trans that lasted more than 50K.

However, I've found mine to be extremely durable.

I've driven it both like a race car and like a truck.

I've run plenty of back woods 1/8 and 1/4 miles hard, and I've towed more than one full size truck across the county and a several cars across the state.

177,000 and never rebuilt. In fact, never even had the pan off.
Yep, mine is dead. The last r/t I had died.
2 ram 1500s dead.

:eek: Murderer!!!!

:rofl:

I suppose they all go the way of the wind sooner or later. I would not mind one little bit having a Dakota R/T w/a 5.9.
Nope! No sir-re! In black if available!

But I'll admit I do everything you're not supposed to do with a torqueflite trash except neutral drop

:eek: Murderer!!!!

:rofl:

I suppose they all go the way of the wind sooner or later. I would not mind one little bit having a Dakota R/T w/a 5.9.
Nope! No sir-re! In black if available!
My back one is only 85,000 miles

Good Luck !! I have always liked the Dakotas ! I bought my 92 D150 brand new if didn't have it that long I would build a Dakota. It went its best a few weeks ago 14.98 @at 88.75 mph , 2.05 60ft ( 5.2 318, M/P computer , shorty headers, 3 inch single exhaust w flowmaster muffler , throttle body spacer, ram air system, lock up converter redone by Ultimate ( picked up 2 /10ths... 2.20s to 2.00s ), M/P shift kit in the 518 trans, 4.10 sure grip rear ( had 3.55 open ), traction bars , B body Rancho shocks , M/T drag radials ) . You might want to contact Hughes Engines they have a lot of parts for the Magnum motors , I am thinking about getting one of their modified throttle bodies .

F207AED2-8430-4C49-BE2B-F36564B6C3C1.jpeg

560C51CA-8714-4577-AE9A-D5FFFDABE6FD.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back