Dakota/ other projects are kickin my old A$$

-
Del you got the job done... One day
Well after a long battle I finally got the rod knockin' 5.2 and transmission on the ground. I gave up pulling the engine only. Pulled the transfer off the trans in the truck cold windy, rainy, dreary Saturday, and dumped ATF all over my pants

Could not figure how to bolt up the hoist so I made some hooks out of flat strap. Put the leveler sideways and hooked them under the manifolds between the rear two cylinders.

View attachment 1715045677

View attachment 1715045678

View attachment 1715045680

View attachment 1715045681
Del ,you got the job done...One day, at a time....

good job !
I picked up a 98 5.9 yesterday for 100$ .Supposedly out of a 80k rolled truck...I looked at it last Nov but guy wanted too much. Then he emailed me Saturday saying I was right and 100$ if I came right away. Turns out he was moving...lol

good job !
I picked up a 98 5.9 yesterday for 100$ .Supposedly out of a 80k rolled truck...I looked at it last Nov but guy wanted too much. Then he emailed me Saturday saying I was right and 100$ if I came right away. Turns out he was moving...lol
You suck LMAO. You don't even see cores that cheap around here. I dragged home the Durango today, and I'm STILL wondering if I should've walked away

Went down highway 95 to Pullman WA today, about 2 hours each way on the "Goat trail." They've improved the road a lot from Coeur d Alene to Worley, the Injun gamblin' joint, but south of that much of it is the same old twisty, hilly, narrow and rough two lane. Only plus on the way down is very little traffic, LOL, and not too bad on the way up

The White Whale........5.2.....not much power on those hills. I'd be better off with a plain old 727 Torqueflite. Left it locked out of OD most of trip. Coming back, on some hills, spend a LOT of time in second gear. The limit through there is 60 for some distance, and this doesn't let you get "up on" the HP curve in 3rd gear. If you can get it up to 70 it seems to do better.

The Durango, I told the guy if it was closer I'd have walked away.

Windshield, which I knew, was broke, but needed

Seats are disappointing, some tears, etc. I could have used them. Console will go in the Green Dakata

DOES have nearly new tires, which make it worth the 350 I talked him down to, if not the gas and the trip

Engine has a ?? lifter?? knocking. Maybe I can combine both engines, LOL

Put the white Dakota on the trailer "for a place to put it" and will start on the Durango next day or two

Hard to see in the last photo, but the right hand tire is all out of kilter, frame bent

IMG_0868cs.JPG

IMG_0869cs.JPG

IMG_0870cs.JPG

I haven't been much past Lewiston on 95 in a while.

I once bought a Durango for the 5.9 that was such a pig I could barely stand to drive it.
It belonged to a frat boy from U of I in Moscow....must of had 200 Rum and cokes spilled in it !
Once I got looking at it I got thinking "I can fix this up" ... So I filled a 5 gallon bucket with Oxyclean and hot water and went to town with a stiff brush my power washer and the shop vac....used the whole 5 gals... Then I started on the outside !! Lol

Sold it for 2000 !

Paid 200

I can't believe I still have pics....
The pics look better than reality. A lot of buffing went into that paint !

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well it "ain't over." Day after I got home, this meets my eye. The thing threw a tread, I did not hear, feel, or see a thing. Got the rear of the fender, which I'll just trim off.

I bargained this thing down from 450 -- 350, told him "If it was in Spokane I'd walk away from it." This tire will negate the discount!!

IMG_0873cs.JPG

Got a good start on removal. Have the transfer case on the ground, the cat torched off the Y pipe, and the front differential out. (It bolts to the engine brackets.) It's about ready to come out. I "think" all the underneath stuff is free, still have a few things "up top" to disconnect. I should have the engine/ trans out tomorrow

IMG_0875cs.JPG

So, outside of being the Pied Piper of Puckered up Dakarangos, what is the end goal here?
Sorry, I got lost.

So, outside of being the Pied Piper of Puckered up Dakarangos, what is the end goal here?
Sorry, I got lost.

LMAO

'S OK so am I!! See, EVERYTHING I do becomes convoluted, obtuse, ridiculous, so the short outline.........

Over the last few years I've acquired a "mostly complete 5.7, a warranty block and rotating mass 6.4, and last fall, a complete 5.7 with an oil pressure problem

............I needed "something" to put one in, so I picked up the green Dak with a broke rear end, and soon after the white 4x4 (Mini Whale)

I fixed the rear in the green one, a 2WD V6, and am driving it some. I thought I'd fix the white 4x4........it needs and engine.......and decide if I want to keep it or sell it.

At this point, LOL, I'm not sure if EITHER is a hemi swap candidate!!!

Understand? NEITHER DO I LOL!!!

LMAO

'S OK so am I!! See, EVERYTHING I do becomes convoluted, obtuse, ridiculous, so the short outline.........

Over the last few years I've acquired a "mostly complete 5.7, a warranty block and rotating mass 6.4, and last fall, a complete 5.7 with an oil pressure problem

............I needed "something" to put one in, so I picked up the green Dak with a broke rear end, and soon after the white 4x4 (Mini Whale)

I fixed the rear in the green one, a 2WD V6, and am driving it some. I thought I'd fix the white 4x4........it needs and engine.......and decide if I want to keep it or sell it.

At this point, LOL, I'm not sure if EITHER is a hemi swap candidate!!!

Understand? NEITHER DO I LOL!!!
You Sir are my hero.
Although I'm not sure why......:rofl:

Inspite of cold, rainy weather last few days, I got a fair amount done yesterday and today. Yesterday, got the engine/ trans out, and today I "junked out" the underside and most of engine compartment. Rear axle, fuel tank, fuel /brake lines and wiring, front suspension.

Probably tomorrow I'll get it on the trailer, blocked up so I can open the doors, and gut what I want out of the interior. At least the dash, heater/ AC, doors (electric mirror/ window parts)

IMG_0876cs.JPG

IMG_0877cs.JPG

IMG_0878cs.JPG

Did not get much done today, and sposed to rain like hell tomorrow. This morning was my "eat well be well" class which is a mixed bag. I would prefer they talk more about how to deal with food, but last week they had Craig Blanchette, the wheelchair racer, over here for a pep talk on "positive thinking." Screw him. According to him you should not use the word "can't" and "positive thinking" will fix the world. I have news. There's this thing called life, and there's plenty I "can't" do for various reasons.

But today (finally) was a good session, although they waste a lot of the 1 hour classtime. We didn't get going until 10:20 so really, about 40 minutes "maybe."

ANYway........today I moved both rigs......put the junk Durango on the trailer to junk out the interior, and the Dakota back on the hoist "for when" I get an engine ready. If you can see the tow bar on the Dak, I paid 15?? bucks at a thrift store. It's not very heavily built, but great for horsing it around the yard with the Farmall. NOT MUCH LEFT under the Durango!!!!

IMG_0888cs.JPG

IMG_0889cs.JPG

IMG_0893cs.JPG

Tell me that trailer wont be moving with the Durango perched up there..... Lol

Im with you... That motivational.. Rah rah crap gets old.... How about The power of reality thinking?

Tell me that trailer wont be moving with the Durango perched up there..... Lol

Sure will!! Already went around the block!!! (To park on the street, move the Dakota, and back it back in)

I just threw a couple of the big ratchet straps, one benind the rear doors and one in front of the windshield, and winched 'er down

If this ends up at the local scrapyard, it's only 3-4 miles up a 35mph street.

Im with you... That motivational.. Rah rah crap gets old.... How about The power of reality thinking?

That's what I told one of the women who goes. Thing is I don't need that crap. I just need to know how to EAT

If that Durango has a power seat in it you may want to consider taking it too. They have a relatively simple, compact mechanism that is easily adapted into other vehicles. I put one in my Barracuda that has made it far more comfortable for me to drive, giving me much needed leg room as well as the tilt back.

If that Durango has a power seat in it you may want to consider taking it too. They have a relatively simple, compact mechanism that is easily adapted into other vehicles. I put one in my Barracuda that has made it far more comfortable for me to drive, giving me much needed leg room as well as the tilt back.

Does not, they are manual. I believe the project Dakota is electric, but if it works OK, it will stay in there. Rain........rain..........RAIN today. I have not left the house except for a few brief minutes.

ANYBODY KNOW if those doors fit extended cab Dakota? I'm going to take some measurements, my keep 'em.

Finally got the "rod knockin" Dakota engine and the Durango engine turn down. Heads are not off, yet. Still need to run a leakage test on the Durango, I forgot and left the balancer off, which has 90* crank marks. The leakage on the Dakota wasnt bad IF YOU BELIEVE the HF tester, I just posted a rant on THAT, except for a bad intake valve on one hole

Top two photos.....Durnago engine, both pumps. The pump with small pickup is the Dakota, lots of junk. It has at LEAST three rods bad I've posted on this before re: the "White Whale." I think these pickups are JUNK

IMG_0901cs.JPG

IMG_0902cs.JPG

Lifters had bad varnish, forced them upwards then pulled the cam, and then pushed the lifters out the bottom
IMG_0903cs.JPG

BOTH CAMS are bad. Probably buy a regrind or have one of these reground

IMG_0904cs.JPG

IMG_0905cs.JPG

You don't have to pull the heads........just push the lifters down into the cam cavity!!
IMG_0907cs.JPG

You are making way better progress than me on my one project, my friend.

I don't know if you've figured it out yet, 67Dart273, but there's a little trick to these Dakotas/Durangos. You can remove the engine or transmission separately, without removing the motor mount brackets or front axle (Though some sources claim it's impossible). I've done it, and it's faster than removing the front clip or pulling them as an assembly.

Remove the bellhousing bolts and remove transfer case, loosen motor mount/axle mount bolts at the axle housing, shove a pry bar in between the bracket on each side of the bell. Viola! You can now drop the transmission down from underneath and pull the engine out from above.

Granted, I was working on a 1st Gen, and I could use a Ratchet Wrench to remove the top bellhousing bolts, 2nd/3rd Gens are a PITA with the motor being tucked under the cowl. For those, you use a looooong extension with a wobble and a universal to remove the top bellhousing bolts

-
Back