Dakota 'shorties' in early A ??

-

Streetwize

Reaction score
I know it had to be asked before, but if the dakota/5.9 manifold combination fits, eouldnt the equivalent shorties ( that would bolt to the OEM headpipes) also be designed to fit?

I could see where the inner fenderwells might be an issue and possibly the steering box but surely somebody has tried it?

I have some shorty headers I bought used. They are likely Dakota headers and they will not fit the early A's. The tubes hit the inner fenders. I'm not even sure they would fit a later A body. They just aren't built very tight coming off the head.

Thanks,

Was just wodering if one or 2 of the primary tubes could be cut and rerouted to make them
Fit

Wouldn't depend on how high RPM you plan to run. I mean, if you're not planning on going over 6K the more expensive headers (and associated problems) wouldn't really help that much?? but if you're doing some all out racing at the higher RPMs then the headers might be worth it. If I remember correctly the shorties don't help you gain much more power below 6K anyway. Do you plan to do a lot of all out racing (high RPM)??

treblig

I don't currently have an early "A" with an engine in it to check. But I remember the passenger side would of required one or two tubes to be rerouted. When I saw that the easy side was going to require work I didn't even bother looking at the driver side.

With a 440" W2 im looking at trading probably an easy 50hp and a higher torque and power curve vs the convenience of dropping this beast into a rare A body I dont want to cut on.

Gotta approach it for now like I'm running a F.A.S.T. Type class car that I'll granny shift at 5200, it'll still be rediculously fast even with a mild (for 440 cubes) 251/259 @ .050 solid roller.
Itd just my nature I hate leaving power on the table if I can figure a way not to

i suspect the steering columt would be the major problem and fenders. steeringbox is probably a lesser problem when it comes to most shorty headers.

Gil,

Before I put the $$$ down on the manifold I looked seriously at a set of TTI's in an effort to leave nothing on the table, even to the pointvwhere I asked if they would make me a 1-off set of W2's.

I keep coming back to I just want to Drive this one and if the cubes and heads are overkill, well whos to say the motor win't wind up in some other car sooner or later.

85 percent of the time this thing is gonna be cruising part throttle andvthe roll-on torque will still be little short of epic anyway.

If i wind up wanting more, theres a NASCAR guy named Calvin Elston nearby that specializies in custom headers, Expensive yes, but he's one of the best in the business.

The other advantage is the W2 intake port is very strong in the 4200-6800 rpm range on a 340" motor, proportionally that will be roughly 3250-5400 on a long 4.25 stoke motor. A W2 is not very dependent on "fifth cycle" scavenging/overlap to keep the cylinders charged. This cam (and the motor combination doesnt require) doesnt have a lot of effective overlap for the dize of the motor (109 lobe spread) do I think the torque eill comr on fast and hard and I'll shift at a relatively low RPM andvlet the syroke and piston velocity do the work ( much like a standard port 440 rb or a buick 455).

port velocity and broad high ve will be the key, thats why i think thr manifolds will still work well because I'll.be shifting before the ve drops off. momentum should make it quick....well.that snd the relatively light weight if the early a body.

it should be fun

Sounds like you have a plan close to mine. I'm building a street car motor and have no plans for anything over 6K. I plan to build a 318 stroker (390 CI). I plan on lots of torque for a decent launch and good torque through the 5,500 RPM. If I was planning on really high RPMs I would need headers but the 340/360 magnum manifold combo I'm running should do well up to 400/425 horsepower.

treblig

Gil,

Sadly the plan for the 440 W2 might have to change, looks like the motor is giving up 80 Lb/ft and 75Hp with logs, not sure I can live with myself knowing I'd be leaving that much on the table. (I figured about 50 but when I saw the Hughes test you referenced it got me to thinking).

Ran a dyno simulation on 2 different softwares. Sent you a PM

Gil,

Sadly the plan for the 440 W2 might have to change, looks like the motor is giving up 80 Lb/ft and 75Hp with logs, not sure I can live with myself knowing I'd be leaving that much on the table. (I figured about 50 but when I saw the Hughes test you referenced it got me to thinking).

Ran a dyno simulation on 2 different softwares. Sent you a PM

Hope your engine has all the power you expect. There's nothing more fun than an extremely powerful engine as your fingertips or toetips, footpedal.....you know what I mean, LOL!!.

Gil

Did you get my PM? I'll gladly offer you some of the deposit (whatever you think is fair) for your time, thanks buddy

Did you get my PM? I'll gladly offer you some of the deposit (whatever you think is fair) for your time, thanks buddy

Yes, I received your PM and answered it. I said that it wouldn't bother me in the least if you decided to go with headers. I'll return your full deposit and wouldn't take a dime from you. It's not an inconvenience at all. But since I just started the money transfer from Pay Pal to my bank account I'll have to wait for the transaction to be completed before I can reverse it. So if you don't mind waiting I don't mind you changing your mind.. I always tell all members who send me a deposit on my manifolds that if for any reason I can't get the manifolds they want I simply return their deposit. Same goes for anyone who changes their mind before I've packed their stuff and had it weighed anyway!!!
I appreciate everyone's business and would like to be considered a good seller!! There's no need to pay for my time...all I ever ask for is a good rating!! LOL
PS - I hope your engine nails you to the seat!!!!!!!!!:burnout:
Treblig

-
Back