Dakota trans issue ??

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 and automatic transmission.Lately it has not been shifting into overdrive,sometime it will but other times it will not.Is there a switch on the transmission going bad,a relay somewhere,transmission filter dirty,or is the tranny about to quit on me?? Any ideas... Thanks,Jim

in my owners manual for my 97 ram 3500 it states that the transmition will not shift into over drive until it warms up

you checked the fluid? does it have the overdrive on off button on the dash? could that be shorting out?

This could be a number of issues, either electrical or mechanical. I'd check the electrical first, then look for debris in the pan.

How many miles on it and has it been serviced lately?

I've also seen 2 of them do that when the throttle position sensor was bad even though they didn't throw a code for bad sensor. Apparently it's tied into the computer to regulate the shifting.

Seems to work when it is cold but when it warms up it does not want to shift into overdrive.I had the fluid flushed but they did not change the fluid.They told me there was no need to.I do not really believe you do not need to change the filter when you flush the transmission.

Seems to work when it is cold but when it warms up it does not want to shift into overdrive.I had the fluid flushed but they did not change the fluid.They told me there was no need to.I do not really believe you do not need to change the filter when you flush the transmission.

I've seen places doing this lately and I think it's a bunch of phooey that you don't need to change the filter. I'd check that cause I have seen them work cold because the crap floated to the bottom and after you drive it for a few minutes it sucks up the crap in the filter and restricts flow lowering pressure. When the pressure is low it won't shift right.

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9 and automatic transmission.Lately it has not been shifting into overdrive,sometime it will but other times it will not.Is there a switch on the transmission going bad,a relay somewhere,transmission filter dirty,or is the tranny about to quit on me?? Any ideas... Thanks,Jim

44rh?

Yes, overdrive is controlled with a solenoid.
Sometimes they flake out and you need to replace it.
If it works sometimes and other times not, it's not the od clutch. gotta be the solenoid, or something in the wiring.

It won't go into overdrive until it reaches x amount of degrees. I forget what it is.

No luck yet.What is the part on the end of the transmission tailshaft called,its a round electronic part.I am sure its for the overdrive maybe its bad??

does the speedo work, how about the lock up clutch? the harness that goes into the trans has wiring for the lockup clutch and od sol. if the speedo is disconnected it wont shift, corrosion in the connection on the side of the trans, loose? the one on the tailshaft is speedo, the one behind the shift arm is tcc and od sol. if the converter clutch is unlocking it probably is the tps. My 94 3500 is unlocking at the tcc, i ran the scanner on it and its calling for lock up so must be in the sol itself.

No luck yet.What is the part on the end of the transmission tailshaft called,its a round electronic part.I am sure its for the overdrive maybe its bad??

I can't think of an electronic part on the end of the tailshaft that's for the O.D. Everything that controls the O.D. is internal. The valve body sends oil to the o.d. unit via passages internally through the o.d. solenoid when the computer activates it. I can't think of anything on the end of the tailshaft at all. The speedo sensor is on the left side of the tail shaft but it's closer to the front of the tailshaft and if it's bad the speedo won't work. Can you take a picture and post it?

-
Back