Damaged Pressure Plate Straps

-

kenelder

70 340 4spd 6 pack
Reaction score
Hello all, I am hoping some of you might have had this problem before and can shed some light on it. The pictures are a brand new Pressure plate from my 1970 Dart 340. I've had a heck of a vibration with the new engine and clutch parts and finally tracked it down to the pressure plate drive straps. As you can see in the pics one of the straps is bent from compression. The pressure plate is now about 1/8" off center, think I've found the vibration! What I'd like to understand is how can this happen to only 1 of the drive straps? I could see damaging all 3 of them from hard downshifting but not just 1.

This has about 150 slow miles on it while I was sorting out the new engine and then testing everything trying to find the vibration. It was not driven hard, no burnouts or other hard driving. It was vibrating so bad I didn't want to take it over 3,000 rpm.

Right now I am thinking shipping damage. But the whole point of this post is that I do NOT want to do this to the new pressure plate, so I need to figure out if I did anything wrong. I know the answer to that is "you should have better inspected it before installation" but I've done quite a few clutches and never had an issue like this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Ken
IMG_3111.JPG Normal strap

IMG_3112.JPG Bent strap

IMG_3115.JPG Note the off center overspray

IMG_3116.JPG Plate close to strap on one side

IMG_3118.JPG Plate farther from strap on other side

Perhaps another idea: I've worked for manufacturers for most of my adult life, and based on the "newness" of this clutch, I'm pretty sure if you were to contact them (or the seller?) directly, not only would they be able to explain what's happened, but they may just give you a "customer satisfaction" warranty replacement.

Parts only, of course!

Thanks, I already tried. They said it was caused by high rpm downshift and wouldn’t do anything about it. I’m not buying that because: never did any high speed downshift and such an event would bend all 3 straps not just one.

I’m baffled but I’m not sure of the make but the paint looks horrible. Like a 3rd grader painted it. I only mention this because it shows poor workmanship (since you said it was new). Honestly- I’d would had thought this was used with a quick rattle can paint job.
I’d make sure the throw out bearing was properly disengaged and not over throwing the fingers. I once had a three finger pp get wrecked because my geometry was off from “adapted clutch pedal parts.” When you pressed in the pedal- it pushed the tb further than normal. And this wrecked the springs. Clutch was junk after 300 miles.
It took a fresh set of eyes to tell me parts were wrong and my geometry was off.
A new proper abody Z bar and ball and stud bell housing bracket that was correct later and this never happened again.
That Zoom clutch lasted for years.
Syleng1

Thanks, I already tried. They said it was caused by high rpm downshift and wouldn’t do anything about it. I’m not buying that because: never did any high speed downshift and such an event would bend all 3 straps not just one.
What a copout! So what if it was caused by high speed downshift? Isn't it "supposed" to be a performance clutch? Ridiculous.

Z bar and pushrods all stock, new bushings so it’s not the linkage but thanks for the thoughts. I’m still not sure how only one of the straps could be damaged but it sure was. I had the standard B&B three finger pp in it for 25,000 very hard miles with no problems. Wore the friction material off from high rpm launches but that’s my fault! This is just weird, wish I could figure it out.

BTW, I was reading Clutch University on the Ram site and it did talk about downshifts when letting the engine idle causing bent straps. I’d expect that would bend all three at the same time….

BTW, I was reading Clutch University on the Ram site and it did talk about downshifts when letting the engine idle causing bent straps. I’d expect that would bend all three at the same time….
You'd think it would, but then again, a real performance pressure plate should be able to take it. Maybe Kentucky Clutch can upgrade it. I know they can fix it.

...and wouldn’t do anything about it.
Pure BS right there!

(sigh) Just another manufacturer who is living on their name and reputation, but won't stand behind their product (i.e., "our sh*t doesn't stink") when a good customer has an issue.

Sorry that this happened to you, but thankfully, based on the responses, it appears you have some options.

Good luck!

Well I'm still wondering if it is something I did.....and I understand any manufacturer might have trouble believing that I didn't do anything hard on the clutch. So I understand their position, don't have to like it.

I was under the impression that McLeod were supposed to be pretty good

Once when I was young, I raced with Lee Smith/ CRAZEE CUDA. Lee made an experimental 5-speed Vertical gate shifter for the Doug Nash 5-speed trans. For some reason we had a ramp problem from 2nd to 3rd, resulting in a back into 1st shift. It sure made the valves in the Hemi tap the pistons in the over rev! But, the pressure plate never did that, and this condition happened several times! Don't think that I will ever own a McCleod pressure plate. The good will from their end for a replacement would go a long way. This could happen to any mfg'r, but this time it is McCleod.

Rustyratrod, thank you for the info on Kentucky Clutch. I called them and they were friendly and knowledgeable and answered my questions. They did say that the downshifting could cause a bent drive spring but it would have to be really hard and also that shipping damage could have been the cause.

In any case they can repair this one and sound like they are easy to work with. Also said they could add an extra strap to make it a bit stronger.

I’m going to try this one more time and if it happens again I’m going back to the Borg & Beck style plate. I’ve badly mistreated B&B plates and never had this kind of issue.

I’d highly recommend anyone installing a diaphragm style pressure plate to closely inspect the drive straps between the plate and clutch cover before installation. I strongly suspect shipping damage on mine and I didn’t know to inspect the straps….

I was thinking about this last night, and I wonder if the metallurgy could have anything to do with this. IOW, if the "bean counters" at McLeaod somehow got involved and forced a change to the Spec on the plates (metallurgy) at some time in the past. Cheaper parts= lower cost/higher profit.

Anyway, just pure speculation on my part.

-
Back