-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes I’m on the road.

IMG_8855.png

IMG_8856.png

I learned to drive in Mum's '61 Strato-Chief with a 3speed column-shifted six. IIRC that also was a 261.
What I remember most about that car, besides all the room inside there for 5 kiddies plus Mum on two benches, was how stinking fast it could go ......... in reverse! Yeah I was practicing, alone in the car, when I found that out.
I can still see me, right-arm over the bench to anchor me, upper body twisted nearly 180*, my azz no longer on the seat, and my eyeballs peeled on the picture-window in the back, with the concrete flying at me, and my left hand twitching the steering wheel; and no seatbelts in a '61 .....
I won't tell you about any other tricks that car couldn't do, lol; afterall, it was Mum's car ...... IIRC, Mum made me buy two new rear tires tho....... or was that on the 67 Anglia that Mum got next? Oh wait, that's the one I had to rebuild the 4-speed on, cuz I wore out the synchros, and it was in the winter, and Dad had no garage ..... yeah I remember now. Mum's cars were allchit like that. lol

Thanks all. This is a mixture of a 42-45ish WC carryall with the body removed and a 47ish cab put on. The grill and rad are different between the years. This one being cooler in my eyes. It is shorter in the nose and the hood sloped to it a bit. This should also be a 3/4 ton vs the later 1 tons. It was on a farm and used to move stuff around. I yanked the mouse infested bucket seats that were installed and washed out the interior. I already knew this tag was there but didn’t know what it said. I’m hoping this thing runs. Believe it or not, my wife actually likes the old Power Wagons! Lucky me.

IMG_9282.jpeg

I am not sure about the date. Pretty generic stamping! But the story was that it was used to move stuff around the farm, and these old engines are pretty darn hard to kill! It has oil in it with no coolant that i saw.......yet. :)

Last edited:
Awww chit. That thing's Canadian. That means it has the 251 instead of the 230, I betchya.
Well, the stamping is T218. Which I can’t find. There is a 215. But the head is 23” long so it should be the 230 cubic inch engine. The truck that is hogging up the shop leaves to the new owner tomorrow and the WC comes in. (Ya I know. GM. But it’s a 454 dually!) Then I’ll see if it turns over and shortly after fires up.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Oh ya, in the spring. I’ll have to dig it up and see if it is savable, but the price is two bottles of Scotch!
I'm sure for that price I can repair the lower section!

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that’s a better spot for it. Man these things are a lot smaller than one would imagine. The fact that it is the earlier 3/4 ton might have something to do with it but I doubt it. The body parts are all the same.

IMG_9307.jpeg

IMG_9306.jpeg

Now that’s a better spot for it. Man these things are a lot smaller than one would imagine. The fact that it is the earlier 3/4 ton might have something to do with it but I doubt it. The body parts are all the same.

View attachment 1716178117

View attachment 1716178118
I had the pleasure of working on a 53 for a customer. They had purchased conversion mounts to swap in a LA 318. I found them the manual trans setup from a Poly 318 out of a 65 D500. My job was to plumb and wire. Make it start and stop. You are correct on the actual size. They look huge, until you sit in it. People were smaller in those times! Lol! I too, thought a 12v Cummins swap would be cool. Firewall mods would be a must. Dang neat trucks! Good luck with it!!

I had the pleasure of working on a 53 for a customer. They had purchased conversion mounts to swap in a LA 318. I found them the manual trans setup from a Poly 318 out of a 65 D500. My job was to plumb and wire. Make it start and stop. You are correct on the actual size. They look huge, until you sit in it. People were smaller in those times! Lol! I too, thought a 12v Cummins swap would be cool. Firewall mods would be a must. Dang neat trucks! Good luck with it!!

I have plenty of small blocks. The divorced transfer case makes almost anything possible! Turns out this was actually an ambulance prior to the farmer getting ahold of it! It is a 1943 WC 54. It’s gonna have a much better look than that when I’m done.

-
Back