Dampener bolt patterns LA motors

-

MichiganRay

Reaction score
Is the bolt pattern on the dampener of a 340 the same as 440 or Hemi, that holds the pulley in place, or is the LA smaller?
I have a set of Edelbrock heads and need to add a 0.50" spacer so the alternator will clear the head. Not finding one for a LA motor but there is 6 bolt hole for a Hemi.
I know there's symmetrical pattern later modules and non-syrmmetical for early. My dampener is non-syrmmetical.

16718026322631991980891707213237.jpg

can't you shim or space the alternator out with steel spacer material from the hardware section at Lowes? why go after the damper pulley?

can't you shim or space the alternator out with steel spacer material from the hardware section at Lowes? why go after the damper pulley?
Because once you space the alternator out, you need to also space out the crank and water pump pulleys the same amount in order to maintain belt alignment.

The "go to" answer is to just leave the one odd bolt out. I guess you could also oblong the hole. I believe they are the same between B/RB and SB. I once had "hang on" aftermarket AC on my 70 440-6 Roadrunner, and later installed that same AC on the car when I swapped in a 340. I used the same aftermarket AC pulley, which "stacked" onto the front with three bolts

I actually use stainless spacers on the alternator bracket from Ace Hardware. They were inexpensive and several different lengths. They look good and last forever.

The "go to" answer is to just leave the one odd bolt out. I guess you could also oblong the hole. I believe they are the same between B/RB and SB. I once had "hang on" aftermarket AC on my 70 440-6 Roadrunner, and later installed that same AC on the car when I swapped in a 340. I used the same aftermarket AC pulley, which "stacked" onto the front with three bolts
That was what I was wondering. My 69 Cuda had A/C on it but the people I bought it from had taken it out and threw it away. They had left the double crank pulley on the dampener. After putting the Edelbrock heads on I just used the larger outer pulley. I am now switching to a serpentine belt so now the crank pulley needs to move out to match the waret pump and alternator. The problem has been as it has always been no one makes a 0.50" spacer for a SB motor. But Summit does have on for a third generation Hemi.
This is a mock up of new water pump pulley without a spacer, (I have one for it), and the old V belt alternator. You can see how much the water pump a crank will have to be spaced out to work.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

16718226732388323812585005945595.jpg

I'd knock .050" off the head with an angle grinder and call it a day.

I'd knock .050" off the head with an angle grinder and call it a day.
.50" is a lot! There are water jackets there. I have a set of AL cutters an have opened these heads up for roller lifters, but 1/2 inch off the outside makes me nervous. I have heavily ported these heads. But nothing like a 1/2 inch. But I have cut some of of it away. I question why the stick out so far. I have to believe it is for straight of the AL head. Thanks. I appreciate any advice. Never know when it will point out something I didn't know.

-
Back