DANA 60 experts

-
No plans to mini tub it, would just like to be able to fit a 275 tire. That possible under a stock wheel well Duster? Maybe trimming / rolling the fender lip, but no modifications to the inside portion of the tub.
I put 275/60-15 on 15x8 on 4.5bs under a 72 Duster. Stock 8.25 with stock leaf spring location. Sometimes rubbed the spring and the inner wheelhouse a little. Had no trimming on the wheel opening and never rubbed there. I did put a thin shim between the spring hangar and body to move the wheel back a little.

I have a danna 60 in my 70 built by moser and im about to drop engine and trans in the car and to piggy back on this post what drive shaft do I need I never had one when I got the car its 904 trans

I had mine built to fit. I moved the axle back an inch so mine was not a factory fit. It was $300 for the unit with 1350 u joints.

Mine in the factory location is there a drive shaft that will work or am I going to have to have one made ?

Don't know about factory stuff but if your car has any balls and hooks I'd go big. Build it right the first time.

Looks like this old Dana will be getting Moser axles. Not looking like there will be enough spline left to engage completely with the carrier. Will only have less than .600" of factory splines according to the measurements I've taken. Axles are undercut prior to the splines and only have about 1-15/16 of splines. Would have to narrow this thing 3" or more per side to get into full diameter axle shaft. Not the end of the world just a couple hundred more than redrilling / studding / cutting and resplining the stockers. Pulled the old 30 spline spiders out of the 60 power lok I bought a few weeks ago and replaced them with a set of 35 spline spiders my dad had in a carrier sitting in the garage for the last 40 years. Figured if I'm buying axles may as well get the 35 spline vs 30's and the 35 spline interlocking design seems much stronger than the two piece 30 spline setup. The actual spider gear has over 1.5" of spline engagement and the outer shell is splined the same as the clutch steels. Should have taken some pictures but I'm sure you guys have seen what I am talking about a million times. Might pull it back apart for some pictures. Nothing torqued yet just snugged up and sitting on the bench.

I have been trying to find the torque value for the case halves... Anyone? I have also read not to torque the halves back together until the axles are installed?? Seemed to go back together cleanly / splines properly engaged on the clutch steels etc... Should still be able to get this thing wrapped up with mosers cheaper than an 8 3/4! It's only money right??

-
Back