dana 60 question

-

63dartman

Reaction score
How hard would it to use a dana 60 in a mopar. A guy has one for sale locally for 75$ He says it measures 44.5 and has a sway bar attached but missing the drums. I'm picking it up just for the price. It also has 8 lug with 3.54 gears.

make sure its right side up and turn the yoke clockwise and watch the axles and see that they turn counter clockwise.

How hard would it to use a dana 60 in a mopar. A guy has one for sale locally for 75$ He says it measures 44.5 and has a sway bar attached but missing the drums. I'm picking it up just for the price. It also has 8 lug with 3.54 gears.

With 8 bolt axles, it sounds like a F*rd truck Dana (could be Dodge I guess too). Thats about the going price for a truck Dana. Now you'll have to spend $$$ to cut off the 8-bolt ends and install 5 bolt ends, buy new 5 bolt axles, find all the 5 bolt brake stuff, and change the spring perches. Dana's in an A body are a bit overkill unless your running a Hemi with excellent rear suspension that hooks! Dana's are strong as h*ll,but VERY HEAVY too!!!!

im about to finish my dana 60 narrowing project. it started as a 72 ford truck piece. i bought a used posi, backing plates , all brake parts, new axles, housing ends , etc. and im into it for around $1050 . it still needs the gears set up and new bearings and seal put in. it is a heavy piece. you could probably find an 8/3/4 for cheaper .

Now look what you guys have done. Poor guy just lost a sale......No, really, thanks for the info, I really didn't think this all the way through. I will probably hold off until an 8.75 comes along.

Now look what you guys have done. Poor guy just lost a sale......No, really, thanks for the info, I really didn't think this all the way through. I will probably hold off until an 8.75 comes along.

Sorry...I didnt mean to discourage you. Just wanted to point out some of the details. 74fldart's probably gonna have less in his self-built 5 bolt Dana that it would be to buy one from an original 4 speed Hemi car. They're going for cubic dollars these days!

If you spend the cash on a 8.75, you'll be in at least the same money as a Dana. Price out the stuff you'll need. It racks up fast when you consider what a quality pumpkin, axles cost... you're in 700-900 right there.

Someone did a swap and it was in the 30-40 pounds heavier to go Dana. I've NEVER seen a car, geared the same, go any slower with a Dana under it vs. an 8.75 because of the weight. Plus the weight is where you want it.

I'm into my original mopar Dana with strange spool/axles and 4.88's about $800.

I've got an a body 3.91 sure grip SBP 8.75 if you are looking to got that way.

-
Back