Dana 60?

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK all, I am pondering this issue. I see on CL a lot of truck Dana 60's, some with Sure-grips and 4:10's for $100 to $200. My question is this. If I bought the rear end, had it narrowed to A-body length ($100) buy moser axles ($400) and then summit rear disc conversion kit ($500). I see a full functioning sure-grip Dana for about $1,200, what am I missing, other than the cash part?

OK all, I am pondering this issue. I see on CL a lot of truck Dana 60's, some with Sure-grips and 4:10's for $100 to $200. My question is this. If I bought the rear end, had it narrowed to A-body length ($100) buy moser axles ($400) and then summit rear disc conversion kit ($500). I see a full functioning sure-grip Dana for about $1,200, what am I missing, other than the cash part?

Who wants 4:10 gears in an a body?

Main problem i see with your theory is most complete rears in that price range will have a ton of miles and possible abuse. I would figure new guts in your pricing and if it still works for you then go for it.

I peiced my narrowed Dana 60 for $2700.
New narrowed housing and end caps
New spool and Pro gears
Installation kit
Aluminum rear cover
Moser 35 spline axels/Green bearings
Billet yoke(for 1350 u-joint)
I used my 8 3/4 brakes

Moser wants around $3500 for a new complete Dana 60.

New spool and Pro gears
Installation kit
Aluminum rear cover
I used my 8 3/4 brakes

hell for almost less than half you can order the complete Strange 60 in pieces (but complete minus tubes) and assemble your self...

You need new housing ends too, like moser 8400 for a chrysler bearing or put ford ends on it and a disc set up off an explorer, IIRC. If you are thrifty you can have a solid rear axle for under $800. I don't put disc on any rear I have so I'm not the one to ask re: disc set ups.

I would only buy one with a powerlock, no trac-locs. Just personal preference.

The side gears will most likely need to be changed, about 50-120 depending on where you find them. Those truck rears don't usually have 30 or 35 spline axles in the carrier. I've done a few of these and if you are starting from scratch, it's a great way to go compared to dumping 800+ on an A body 8.75!

New spool and Pro gears
Installation kit
Aluminum rear cover
I used my 8 3/4 brakes

Yea, I got my narrowed Strange S60 directly from them. (strange eng.) with all the good stuff as well. 373 gears, detroit locker, 35 spline axles, LPW cover, billet 1350 yoke, wilwood 12.19 disc brakes. it was 3300 to my door. steep for a rear end yea, but at the time i needed it and was on a time constraint. i had the money, so why the hell not. 4 years later, im still happy. :)

Why would anyone want all that weight , horsepower must be horendous, i would stay with 83/4 489 case , lot cheaper , strong and weight?????.

All,
Thanks for the post, Cracke - thank you, good insight. Again, this was just a pondering and looking at it through a budget side, if I had the cash Strange would be the route. As for the weight, yes agree abit much and gearing would be decided based on the vehicle build. Was reading a article last night about Currie Enterprises in the LA area did a budget Dana build for a Mopar Mag, Looked nice and article stated it was "much cheaper" than finidng an original B Body rear end. I know its a loaded magazine jumbo, but it is intersting read.

Also a consideration one of the local shops here focuses on 9"ers. I am not a pursit and an all out racer, so is an option but would have to be a major cost benefit to make me go that route.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/tech-s...ilds-killer-kong-the-ultimate-budget-dana-60/

I have a Dana 60 out of a B-Body, I will be selling. It needs a more streetable ring and pinion. I have seen them used on other sites for less than a $100.00. PM me if interested. I will be bringing it to Carlisle this year.

Most truck Dana 60's for sale cheap are one's you don't want. Not all Dana 60's are not the same externally, but are the same inside. Many are 3 1/2 or 4 inch tubes and have 80 pounds of extra webbing cast in. Your looking for 3 inch tubes and NO webbing. If you find one of the large heavy ones in great shape, under $100, with the correct ratio and suregrip, buy it, gut it and scrape the housing. Either keep looking for the light housing or spring for the S60 (great side gear adjustment ease) ,but I think they are pricey. I have a few "light" housings for sale but they are crazy money to ship. I do narrow rears and could do that for you ahead of time if you knew the width. Where are you located.

MOPE, I am located in the Reno, Nevada area. Yes, shipping is crazy, one of the costs trying to avoid. I am in no hurry at this time, so I will keep this in mind.

HighwayStar: I appriciate the offer, wish I lived closer to you and MOPE. Wont make it out to Carlisle. Just sold my 4 speed GTX, what I was looking for for it.

I've got a HD Dana from a chevy 1 ton in my 472 hemi '69 fastback barracuda.

I cut and narrowed it myself, kept the truck gears, and put a spool in it.

I've got less than 800 bucks in it.

Plus, the extra weight of the HD doesn't hurt the a-body, and I know I'll never hurt it.

Oops, forgot the disc conversion- maybe more than 800 bucks in it.

Plus, i like it when people argue with me about what rear end it is. The extra webbing changes the profile of the diff.

Please show links of your pricing for NEW parts.:protest:

boss just orders everything thru strange... im sure he gets a discount but not a big one... we do buy the tubes from the metal yard and cut them our selves though...

we made the jig and everything so we do them in house...

The Strange 60 has upgrades that Dana still isn't doing to this day. . . .

Buy the strange housing

and it has the cool side adjusters like an 8.75!! very nice...

Attachments

• 101_4074.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 406
Very nice moparkid, hemifish, I am liking your input, 800 plus the brakes to me is a good deal, did you do disk?

The strange housing with tubes and ends for 569 isn't bad. Compared to just the center for 499. Starting from scratch it's a good choice. It will add up quick because you don't get a gear set, sure grip, etc. with the starnge housing.

Are the adjusters easier to deal with than the shims and set up bearings, Yes. Never had one so bad that it was impossible to set up. Just takes more time.

The weight difference between a Dana and an 8.75 isn't that much and not even worth emphasizing. No chance a factory 8.75 is as strong as a Dana. I'll take the weight and strength.

The strange housing with tubes and ends for 569 isn't bad. Compared to just the center for 499. Starting from scratch it's a good choice. It will add up quick because you don't get a gear set, sure grip, etc. with the starnge housing.

Are the adjusters easier to deal with than the shims and set up bearings, Yes. Never had one so bad that it was impossible to set up. Just takes more time.

The weight difference between a Dana and an 8.75 isn't that much and not even worth emphasizing. No chance a factory 8.75 is as strong as a Dana. I'll take the weight and strength.

its like 50 lbs and i think 5hp difference to run...

Very nice moparkid, hemifish, I am liking your input, 800 plus the brakes to me is a good deal, did you do disk?

Yes, it's the GM caddy brake system they sell. I also got the 35 spline axles cheap on eBay. They were originally ordered from strange to fit a stock width duster. Came w green bearings. I got lucky

-
Back