dana 60

-

hotrod68

Reaction score
I destroyed the 8 3/4 in my dart (car runs 10 teens) and of course it took out the bolt in sprag along with other damage. My question is I bought a dana 60 out of a 69 runner with 4.10 gears is it strong enough stock to run as is or does it need upgrading. Thanks for any info. I should ad its a small tire foot brake car best pass of 1.39 60 foot and 10.12 @132

Just something to think about. I have 2 friends that took out there 8 3/4 & put in dana rears. They both ran low 11s high 10s with the 8 3/4 rears. They both got it in there heads to run dana rears. They both ended up running SLOWER. I feel that the 8 3/4 is just as strong & is lighter, but that is just me. I have heard of both rears breaking

Dana 60 is the best rear end there is for no worries use. The only upgrade you need is long wheel studs.

The Dana should be never be an issue[as long as it's good now]. I've seen every type of breakage with 8 3/4's. By looking at most serious racecars...it would seem a 9" Ford[eeeew] is probably the best for most setups.

I'd open it check the ring and pinion. If it were me I'd replace the clutch's and go to 35 spline axles and never look back.:eek:ops:

I destroyed the 8 3/4 in my dart (car runs 10 teens) and of course it took out the bolt in sprag along with other damage. My question is I bought a dana 60 out of a 69 runner with 4.10 gears is it strong enough stock to run as is or does it need upgrading. Thanks for any info. I should ad its a small tire foot brake car best pass of 1.39 60 foot and 10.12 @132
You're lucky it didn't take out your right foot! I think your rear end will not be the weakest link any more.
I went through the same thing with my Duster bracket car in October, but got lucky and it didn't damage the tranny at all. Like you, I replaced with a Dana 60 and all is well now. The last time I took it to the track before they closed for the winter it was running .1 faster than normal in the 1/8th mile with the Dana, of course it was 58 degrees all day. I run about the same times as you....

thanks for the info everybody, I did pop the cover off and check things out looks great! I think i'll just put new (green) bearings on the axels and let her rip.

-
Back