Dana vs 8 3/4

-

draginmopars

Reaction score
didn't want to hi-jack the other post.....

On the way back from Moser, the other post got me thinking about weight

Both of these are truck rears, narrowed to 53" axle flange to axle flange.
interesting weights

first is a spare 3.55 SG =72 lbs,

011_zpslzdw7gbv.jpg

next is a 4.56 spool = 56 lbs
010_zpssokjjqhq.jpg

housing 22 lbs
012_zpswlzw5ore.jpg

housing with axles = 56 1/2 lbs
013_zps2zeb9xvg.jpg

Now the Dana
4.56, spool, all bearings, Girdle, yoke, axles = 57 lbs
015_zps0oqengga.jpg

Dana Housing = 53 lbs
016_zpsyitztwcv.jpg

Things of interest
original Dana peg leg 3.73 gear = 30 lbs
018_zpsachbxoth.jpg

Moser spool vs Strange = 13 lbs vs 12 lbs
017_zpsczzsov8h.jpg

weight of girdle is 2 1/2 lbs
Got the Dana all dialed in
019_zpscjganvye.jpg

021_zpsvfapkwvv.jpg

Then noticed that the original Dana in the car, has more cast in bracing than the one going in.
023_zps4kn3z8ke.jpg

Last edited:
well 9 3/4 ring gear vs 8 3/4 ring . the dana uses larger axle spin , bigger bearings , more gear contact surface load area . not bullet proof . very close . 8 3/4 is very good package easy to change in/out or gear swap , but still i must change out the ring gear do to cracking teeth . and thats all the weight difference . dana wins my vote .

well 9 3/4 ring gear vs 8 3/4 ring . the dana uses larger axle spin , bigger bearings , more gear contact surface load area . not bullet proof . very close . 8 3/4 is very good package easy to change in/out or gear swap , but still i must change out the ring gear do to cracking teeth . and thats all the weight difference . dana wins my vote .

I got lost in all the pics and such so give me the quick math please...fully dressed 8.75 weight verses Dana fully dressed weight.

Thanks

BTW, I know people who can break a bowling ball in a sand box. Nothing is bullet proof!

looks like about 8.75 is +18 (+2 w/spool) lbs? I thought that would be way lighter. The 8.8 I made seemed heavy but I was handling the whole unit. Good stuff.

looks like about 8.75 is +18 (+2 w/spool) lbs? I thought that would be way lighter. The 8.8 I made seemed heavy but I was handling the whole unit. Good stuff.

if I used the strange spool, and used a stamped rear cover , instead of the girdle
> 1 lb (spool), 2 lb girdle = 3 lbs lighter Dana...HuMMMMMMMMMMM

I got lost in all the pics and such so give me the quick math please...fully dressed 8.75 weight verses Dana fully dressed weight.

Thanks

BTW, I know people who can break a bowling ball in a sand box. Nothing is bullet proof!

Same here. Totals of each would be great that way we can compare the whole bushel of apples to the other bushel

I like the dana 60 rears. Interesting to see real weight comparisons. Everyone says how much heavier they are but from what I have seen it is not true. I have to put my A-body 8 ¾ and A-body width narrowed truck dana 60 on a scale too. Both have powr-lok diffs in them.

20160318_172133.jpg

I like the dana 60 rears. Interesting to see real weight comparisons. Everyone says how much heavier they are but from what I have seen it is not true. I have to put my A-body 8 ¾ and A-body width narrowed truck dana 60 on a scale too. Both have powr-lok diffs in them.

View attachment 1714932485

Both of these rears are 53" axle flange to axle flange.

My dana flange to flange is slightly narrower to make up for the wider brake drums.

-
Back