Dart 4x4?

-

Ddaddy

I'm changing the World... one pixel at a time!
Reaction score
Ok, this is just for giggles and grins but it got me thinking about what folks might think about the idea.

A few days ago I was working on this image just for fun...

Tuff mudder Dart GTS 5.jpg

After that I decided to photoshop what a '69 Dart might look like as a 4x4. What do you think...if it were a real vehicle?

Dart 4x4 1.jpg

Having seen a B5 Blue '69 one for real in person at the '89 Mopar Nats, well, I'm not a fan in general..............but to each His own, it's what makes the world
an interesting fun place to be in!!

Edit; LOL seabee!!, that looks like it! Only I don't believe the tube bumper was on
it back then..............

Ok, this is just for giggles and grins but it got me thinking about what folks might think about the idea.

A few days ago I was working on this image just for fun...

View attachment 1715041272

After that I decided to photoshop what a '69 Dart might look like as a 4x4. What do you think...if it were a real vehicle?

View attachment 1715041273
Ok that looks killer!!! I'll take one!!

Last edited:
It has to be done right. The blue one looks like they just bolted a dart body into a truck chassis. Makes it sit to high.

Most of them are done by dropping the body on a 4x4 chassis, which if you just sit the unibody on top means the whole truck frame is visible below the body. That's how that Dart was done, and this Duster. Looks like crap. On the bright side, you can usually just unbolt the truck chassis and return them to stock fairly easily.
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 7.55.07 PM copy.png

Then there's this Duster. This one had leaf springs attached directly to the front frame rails. Actually looks right. Of course the problem with this is you don't have a truck chassis, so, you'd have to do A LOT of chassis stiffening to actually make it useful offroad. You'd need all the usual stuff and then some to make it functional- subframe connectors, torque boxes, forward strut bars, lower radiator support brace, the works. Otherwise it would be a real flexy flyer.

00c0c_aJtwNGrUwnE_600x450 copy.jpg

00W0W_bGbltYbu4za_600x450 copy.jpg

00r0r_gGqydeEwqeN_600x450 copy.jpg

Sadly, this is not a new idea, nor exclusive to A-bodies.
IMG_1428 copy.jpg

4x4chally-1 copy.jpg

1926809926_ecf0dff97f_o copy.jpg

00V0V_6FSxXIFKdCi_1200x900 copy.jpg

Most of them are done by dropping the body on a 4x4 chassis, which if you just sit the unibody on top means the whole truck frame is visible below the body. That's how that Dart was done, and this Duster. Looks like crap. On the bright side, you can usually just unbolt the truck chassis and return them to stock fairly easily.
View attachment 1715041617
Then there's this Duster. This one had leaf springs attached directly to the front frame rails. Actually looks right. Of course the problem with this is you don't have a truck chassis, so, you'd have to do A LOT of chassis stiffening to actually make it useful offroad. You'd need all the usual stuff and then some to make it functional- subframe connectors, torque boxes, forward strut bars, lower radiator support brace, the works. Otherwise it would be a real flexy flyer.

View attachment 1715041613
View attachment 1715041615
View attachment 1715041614

View attachment 1715041618
View attachment 1715041619
View attachment 1715041620
View attachment 1715041621
I think a 4x4 Duster setup with the ride height of Ddaddy's photoshop dart would be absolutely bitchin!! Any suggestions on the best way to do that? I've got a 75 Duster body sitting at dads barn :D

I think a 4x4 Duster setup with the ride height of Ddaddy's photoshop dart would be absolutely bitchin!! Any suggestions on the best way to do that? I've got a 75 Duster body sitting at dads barn :D
The 1990 Ford Ranger standard cab short-bed 4x4 has an identical track width and wheelbase to the Duster. You can use one of those and it will fit under like the image I created. The body of the car can be channeled as needed to get it to sit down of the frame so that you won't see it underneath.

The problem with most of the ones out there is that the 4x4 frame they selected has too wide of a track width and the wheels stick out of the sides too far, and they generally have too high of a lift to look right.

Also, FYI, the 2000 Ford Ranger standard cab short-bed 4x4 is a little longer and has an identical track width and wheelbase to the Dart.

If it was me (I'm going with a slightly different route, turning my '65 Fornula S Barracuda into an AWD). I would order 2x3 or 2x4" bulk rectangle tubing from Summit (in their Chassis section) and fabricate a new frame, front to back that followed the contours of the A-Body rails.

Go with a 8-3/4" Based Independent Suspension Front, with Tubular Control Arms and early (87-90) Dakota Spindles, Rack & Pinion from a early 00's Dakota, and an 8-3/4" Rear or go independent in the rear aswell. Top it off with an AWD Transfer Case from a late 90's Dakota behind the Auto or Manual of your choice.

Some of that is based off of what I'm doing with my Barracuda, only I'm tying the rails together with subframe connectors and doing a cage, and it won't sit as high as the Green Dart that Ddaddy posted (though that thing is cool, I'd drive it everywhere!)

After the state closed our dragstrip I thought of doing something like this with my Dart.

james_garner_cutlass.jpg

View attachment 1715041617

View attachment 1715041613
View attachment 1715041615
View attachment 1715041614

View attachment 1715041618
View attachment 1715041619
View attachment 1715041620
View attachment 1715041621

Oh you're pissin the purists off with all these. lol

Oh you're pissin the purists off with all these. lol

Whatever. My car pisses off purists too. Parking a perfectly good car in a garage and never driving it pisses me off. What’s the point? I’d rather see some guy driving around a 4x4 converted mopar than never taking a perfectly restored whatever out his garage except for a show twice a year.

Whatever. My car pisses off purists too. Parking a perfectly good car in a garage and never driving it pisses me off. What’s the point? I’d rather see some guy driving around a 4x4 converted mopar than never taking a perfectly restored whatever out his garage except for a show twice a year.

I agree. Personally, I like the mods you've done....about all we don't agree on there is you choice on tires and wheels....but I am old so there's "THAT". lol

I’m currently putting a 77 vega on a 90 toyota 4x4 v6 5spd. Firewall to center of front hub within a half inch of each other. Wheelbase within an inch. I think vega 100” and yota 101” should fit great

I’m currently putting a 77 vega on a 90 toyota 4x4 v6 5spd. Firewall to center of front hub within a half inch of each other. Wheelbase within an inch. I think vega 100” and yota 101” should fit great
What motor?

I have a buddy with a Porsche 911 safari car. It's pretty badass. Ever since, I've wanted to build an ebody safari style just to piss off purists, and also because it would probably be a total riot to drive.

I never did like the car to 4X4 look.
And it's not because I am a purist, because I certainly am not.
I just think it looks dumb, like a full sized Tonka Toy if you will........

-
Back