Dart 72

-

Dart 72

Reaction score
Greetings from ontario , new to the forum thanks for having me my first mopar ,have a 72 Dart with a 383 , fun to drive , working through the unknowns , going to take the 3rd member out soon just to see what the gear ratio is , thinking maybe 456 , want to go to 391 or less

Dart 72 picture

IMG_1135.jpeg

There are other ways to figure out your ratio, but it would be a good idea to put some eyeballs on it and change the oil. I would bet with a short tire they are not as tall as you think. Love the wheels! cool whip!

Welcome!!!

You don't need to pull the pumkin

If you know whether it's a limited slip, or if you don't...........

Jack up one wheel with the wheels safely blocked, put the trans in neutral. Parking brake of course released
If you can turn the tire, it is not a limited slip

Watch the driveshaft and turn the tire TWO turns while counting driveshaft turns. The driveshaft turns will BE the ratio IE turn tire TWICE, shaft turns "about 4 1/10," you have 4.11/ 4.10, etc

If you can NOT turn the one tire, jack up BOTH rear tires, and turn either of them 1 turn instead of two and again count shaft turns, same deal as before

For "increased accuracy" turn the one tire 20 turns or 10 and divide accordingly

You don't need to pull the pumkin

If you know whether it's a limited slip, or if you don't...........

Jack up one wheel with the wheels safely blocked, put the trans in neutral. Parking brake of course released
If you can turn the tire, it is not a limited slip

Watch the driveshaft and turn the tire TWO turns while counting driveshaft turns. The driveshaft turns will BE the ratio IE turn tire TWICE, shaft turns "about 4 1/10," you have 4.11/ 4.10, etc

If you can NOT turn the one tire, jack up BOTH rear tires, and turn either of them 1 turn instead of two and again count shaft turns, same deal as before

For "increased accuracy" turn the one tire 20 turns or 10 and divide accordingly

Ya buddy had mentioned that , but broke the driveshaft a bit a go and seems to whine , so wanna pull it

-
Back