Dart dies after running awhile

-

dartcuda

Mopar Or No Car
Reaction score
Ok, My Dart runs good, but after driving it for awhile it will die. And thgen it has to sit for about 1/2 an hour before it will start again. Ok, for a little info on it. Ithas a 318 with eltronic ingtion that i wired up about 8 years ago. Now what I am thinking it is something electrical that gets hot and shuts down. I am thinking maybe in the dist, but not too sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi dartcuda, awhile back I had a bad stalling problem. It took me some time to figure out the problem. I checked about everything including...

rebuilding carb, new fuel pump, swapping ECU, checking the fuel sender. I also replaced the rotor and dist cap.

It ended up being my pickup in the distrubuter. I ended up swapping the whole thing.

You may want to read some of my "posts" on how the guys helped me out under electrical, fuel and trans.

As well...do you have anymore info?? does it stall right "dead" or bogg dead. Are you getting good fuel pressure? If gas is "not the problem" Yes more then likey electrical. Make sure your ECU is in a cool location, or better try a swap.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10702

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10920

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10919

It just start to die, and then does. Takes about 2 t0 3 minutes, Sometime if I give it more gas it will stay running, but not always. Kindof reminds me when I had my 68 Charger. It did something just like it, and as you I thought fuel problem, turned out to be the condesor. That's why I am thinking in lines of the dist.

How long is long before it starts to have problems? Does it run good cold and then bad after it warms up? Have you checked the choke?

Sounds like vapor lock in the gas line line or a boiling over carb,check it out and post back,email me you number and I will call you.Mrmopartech,1-450-424-0445

Check the coil wires, I had a same problem with my 73 Road Runner 10-15 years ago and it turned out that I had switched the (2) wires, that go to the coil, around, I had the positive wire going to the negative and vice versa. It would run for a bit then die, would have to wait a bit and it would start back up, the longer I waited to start it back up (to a certain extent) the longer it would run before killing. Hard on the coil too, can potentialy wipe out the electronic ignition box also.

You need to do some detective work, first. When it is dead, remove a spark plug wire, have someone crank the engine, and see if you have spark. If no spark, trouble shoot the ign system. If spark, trouble shoot the fuel system.
If fuel, don't forget the "sock" in the tank. If it is real dirty it can cause those symtoms.

Ok, I am not too sure when I will get a chance to work on it. But I do appreciate all the replys. The Dart doesn't get driven much. And it is hard to get started after sitting for awhile. I checked it for spark one time and it seemed to be weak, But it started after some time. I don't think it is vapor looking, but who knows. It is also hard to start If I drive it and then shut it off for a few minutes. ................I am hoping to get a little time this week end to work on it. Have another dist to try out, will do that first and see how it acts. Will keep you posted.........

Just want to thank all that replied. Took it for a nice drive and no problems. So it looks like it was the dist. that was the cause the problem.

-
Back