Dart Front Valance - License Plate

-

VADodgeDart340

Reaction score
Fellow FABO Members:

I have a 1972 Dodge Dart and I recently replaced the front valance. The one I got was from AMD and did not come punched for the 3/8" square holes for the license plate nylon inserts. I already painted the valance so I need to be gentle with the cutters or files/etc...

Question to FABO members (assuming this does not get deleted):

1 - is there an alternative front license plate bracket that can be fitted to the car without a bunch of cutting?

2 - does anybody make a 3/8" square hand or press punch - can someone recommend a place that might have one (Wavy, Grainger, HF all do not)...? I did look at the Whitney but cannot tell which one would be the right one.

3 - any suggestions on my options?

One other question: does anybody have a source for the "stick on" DODGE hood and trunk emblems, not the pin type. I need two (2).

Thanks - PM me please.

Attachments

• 1972 Dodge Dart New Paint 6-9-2012_027a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 1972 Dodge Dart New Paint 6-13-2012_002a.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 211
I might try using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel.

only thing i can think of is to drill to close to the size then with a small file make the holes square..

can't believe those clowns make the valance and don't punch the proper holes in it..

how does the valance fit other then the plate holes?

It is an AMD front valance, about $279 from an AMD reseller. I did speak to AMD and the reason they do not punch the holes is for the states that do not require front plates on classic cars. Unfortunately Virgina is still in the dark ages when it comes to vehicle license plates and windshield stickers...

The valance fit great, did not require a bunch of monkeying around. The problem was that I put the old valance outside and the scrap guy took it before I noticed the "lack of hole-age" - that was my stupidity. I also painted it before I looked at it carefully. Funny thing is I examined the rear valance (around $249) and made sure the license plate nylon plugs fit it before I painted it.

All the AMD parts and patch panels fit great. I got them from Dante at Dante's Mopar parts. Dante and Tony (from Tony's MOPAR Parts) have been very helpful with this project. FABO has been good to me as well. So all in all I can't complain.

Also, found some nylon inserts that have a round hole/retainer... might be able to get away with that. Won't know until I get em and look at them.

Added some pics... it is coming along. It has been 40 years since I did anything like this and it is slowly coming back. I can't believe how much I have forgotten since the last MOPAR rebuild in the 70's... whew!:banghead:

Attachments

• 1972 Dodge Dart New Paint 6-19-2012_001.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 1972 Dodge Dart New Paint 6-19-2012_002.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 138
I did speak to AMD and the reason they do not punch the holes is for the states that do not require front plates on classic cars.
attachment.php

who ever you talked to is full of ****. it would be different if there wasn't a big flat spot where a plate goes but it would looks stupid as hell with out some kind of front plate there. hell the bumper is even cut out for a plate. they screwed up and never fixed the issue is the real deal.

Well, FOS or not I still do not have holes punched in the valance. Hopefully I can work it out and not hack it up too bad.

They say patience is a virtue... well I have neither patience or virtue... so wish me luck FABO brothers and sisters.

If you have the measurements for the holes send em to me!!!

-
Back