dart hei killing battery

-

hudson368

Reaction score
74 dart converted to hei In my race car .I keep killing batteries. No wiring in car but power switch pushbutton starter alternator and gauges. Every thing seems grounded well. just like every setup I've seen in a street car conversions. Any ideas where I'm missing something. Or a simple diagram for a hei race car set up.

How do you know it's hei? If the HEI is drawing power, it should not shut down the engine

More about how it's wired?

How about an alternator? You run one? You sure it's charging?

And how do you know anything for sure based on what you have posted?

Under "what conditions" does it kill the battery?

Sitting parked? have you checked for parasitic drain? You do that by first putting a test light in series from ground to the disconnected battery NEG post. Look for a light

Charging? What is the running voltage?

It runs when the neg. Term. Is off. So alternator is charging. Yes sitting parked it kills them. I'm new to this 25 years old. Maybe bad ground I've been told

It runs when the neg. Term. Is off. So alternator is charging. Yes sitting parked it kills them. I'm new to this 25 years old. Maybe bad ground I've been told

u have a circut that is on, drawing current then. like del said, put a test light in between neg. batt. cable and the post. if it lights up, u have a draw on the battery. start pulling fuses until the light goes off. the circut that shuts the light down has the draw, now determine what part of the circut is pulling the power. of course this test is done w/the key in the off position.
higgs

PLEASE do not do this. It proves nothing

This problem will not be a bad ground.

u have a circut that is on, drawing current then. like del said, put a test light in between neg. batt. cable and the post. if it lights up, u have a draw on the battery. start pulling fuses until the light goes off. the circut that shuts the light down has the draw, now determine what part of the circut is pulling the power. of course this test is done w/the key in the off position.
higgs

THIS above. It may not have anything to do with ignition, and I'd guess "not."

On a side note, some ignitions draw current with the key in "run" and the engine dead. This includes points systems with the points closed (hard on them and the coil) and also the Mopar breakerless systems.

What does NOT draw much current in the above situation is a GM HEI module!!!

It runs when the neg. Term. Is off. So alternator is charging.
Just as an FYI, pulling off a battery terminal when the alternator is running can damage/kill the alternator or regulator.

How long sitting does it take to kill the battery? If this is a race car, why do you not have a battery cutoff switch? Most/many sanctioning organizations require them....or is that what you are calling a 'power switch'?

Waht HEI do you have?? We do not know if the HEI circuitry is wired correctly. Maybe he just needs a good wiring diagram for whatever ignition system he has.

-
Back