Dart no start

-

70orangeswinger

Reaction score
My 68 Dart wont start. You turn the key and nothing. I replaced the starter relay and still nothing. If you jump across the relay with a screwdriver it will start right up. It has an auto trans if it matters.I checked the connection at the trans for the neutral safety switch but still nothing. Any ideas out there?

Check to see if you can feel or hear the relay engage when the key is turned. I would check the ground really good on the relay. Check for voltage coming in from you ignition switch. Start with the basics first.

Get a meter or test lamp.

Identify the neutral safety wire which is on or the other of the push-on connectors on the start relay, and heads right down behind the engine towards the Torqueflite

First disconnect the NSS wire, and clip lead the exposed terminal on the relay to ground. Try the key

If no go, stick your light/ meter into the OTHER push on connector (normally yellow/ yellow with stripe) and see if you get voltage when you twist the key.

If you do, probably the relay

TO be sure, leave the clip lead hooked to one push on, and jumper the other exposed push-on terminal to the "big stud". Relay should fire and car should crank.

If not, undoubtedly the relay

Grounding the NSS terminal did nothing. I dont seem to be getting juice thru the yellow terminal when key is turned. Any more help out there? Thanks everyone for tryin to help.

OK, if you don't think you are getting juice on the yellow, it's a VERY simple path. It goes through the bulkhead connector (and you have a 68--dash mount switch, right?) and right to the igntion switch. So try to check at the bulkhead connector, and pull the switch out of the dash so you can get to the back of the switch.

It either has to be the wire/ connection, bulkhead connector, the connector at the switch, or the ign switch itself went bad.

Some '68 diagrams:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg

Before you put it back together I would spray some electrical contact cleaner in the connections. It should also help resist corrosion too.

-
Back