Dart ride height...looking for info

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Got our 71 Dart out and cleaned it up. I think when we rebuilt the suspension, the shop that rearched the springs might have put to much arch in them. Measuring from the ground to the wheel lip (using the wheel center as a reference point) it measures...

Pass rear 25 7/8
Dr. rear 25 3/4

Front measured
23 1/4 both sides
measured the same from the ground to wheel lip using the wheel center as a reference point.

So I am trying to figure out is the sitting to low at the front or to high at the back compared to what the factory ride height was?

That is not how ride height is measured. For the front it is the difference between the distance from the ground to two points on the lower control arm (under the torsion bar and under the ball joint).

I've never looked at what the factory height might be on the rear, but since cars will vary, check from the frame to the ground, but AFTER you get the front even side to side.

I measure front ride height by setting about an inch between the LCA bumper and the frame. Then I set both the same by measuring from the frame to the LCA, itself.

I did not figure that was the "correct" way to measure it, just looking for a quick reference to see if was close to what most peoples 70-72 Dart measured? I will measure the front tomorrow when we start messing with it again. Looking at the car it does not appear to be to high in the back...but riding in it. It looks like your going down hill......lol But it was the first time since I bought the car in 2004 that I actually drove it more than a 1/4 mile down the road and back. Actually drove it into town, washed it and a quick wax job last night. Then today let my Dad drive it (for his 70th birthday) back out to the shop and we covered it back up!

Attachments

• DadDrivingDart.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 284
That's a great looking Dart. I personally like the stance as is. A slight difference at the rear is not a problem for me....Drive it and enjoy it :thumleft:

Muscle cars should have a raked look to them.That is not over the top but just enuff to give it a more muscle look.

Thanks! The Dart was a father/son project. My Dad did most of the work (except paint and body) and I helped a bit when I was in town.

Like I said, looking at the pictures it does not look to bad, or to high in the back. However when riding in the car it really looks like you are looking down the hood at the ground. I was just looking at pictures of other 70-72 Dart online and it appears the rear of most of the cars, with 14 inch wheels, is somewhere between the top of the wheel itself and half the height of the tire. So that would be about 1 1/2 - 2 inches lower in the back than my car.

definitely higher in the back. Use the rocker panel in the picture as a visual reference. Compairing your car to some factory brochure pictures it looks like the front is what is low. In my visual opinion.

But you could go either way really to level it. you could lower the rear and have a bit sleeker look. or raise the front and look more stock or leave it as is but, it seems you might not like it that way.

The rear height looks like it would with a set of new XHD 340 springs.
The XHD springs sit higher in the back then a set of stockers.
I think it sits/looks great. Nice muscle car stance.

-
Back