Dart Sport fender cross reference

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know if a 72 4 door Dart fender is the same as a 73 Dart Sport fender?

Thanks cudajunction. they didn't look exactly the same but I wanted to be sure.

4 doors in general are different from a 2 door.
Where the door seam is.
Also a Duster fender is different from a Dodge.
In the wheel wheel lip opening.
But it will work.

Being a 4-door has nothing to do with fenders being different. 67, 68, and 69 are unique, 70-71 is the same, 72 is unique, 73-76 are the same, nothing else needs to be said.

I stand corrected.
I must be having an optical illustration.

1974-plymouth-gold-duster-left-front.jpg
dart sport.jpg
dodge-dart-1974.jpg

Plymouth fenders run the same course as Dodge fenders, and the dog leg is larger on Plymouth fenders.

One of these days mine will look as good as that yellow Sport (I hope). Thanks for all the info guys. Makes finding that Sport fender harder but at least I know what to look for now.

I stand corrected.
I must be having an optical illustration.

View attachment 1715126634 View attachment 1715126635 View attachment 1715126637

Yup, it's an optical illusion. The '71 Dart front end on my '74 Duster (Demon tribute car) is from a '71 4-door Dart that was being parted out. The fenders fit the door fine.
IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_4756.JPG

Plymouth fenders run the same course as Dodge fenders, and the dog leg is larger on Plymouth fenders.

Actually a lot more than the dog leg is different. The dog leg is longer because the wheel opening is shorter, but the whole fender is a different length comparing the Dart fenders to the Duster/Valiant/Scamp fenders. You can see the difference here, with the '71 Dart hood on my Duster before I swapped the fenders...

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

So I'm guessing a 73 Swinger fender will fit a 73 Sport?

Yes sir. And you could use any Dart, Swinger or Dart Sport fender 73-76. They're all the same.

Thank you sir.. Now on to door swapability..

Already done that. The door skins are all the same for the 2 door, hardtop cars. Meaning, Dusters, Darts, Scamps, and no-post Valiants all use the same outer door skin 67 to 76. It gets LOTS more complicated when you include the internal parts. Generally, you want to stay in the ranges 67-69, 70-72, 73-76, but even for those years there are one year only doors when you consider the internal mechanisms, window hardware etc.

If you've got a '73 Swinger, you can swap doors from any of the 73-76 Darts if you use the entire door and window and all the internal hardware. '73 is a one year only window/hardware/mechanism year though. I'm not sure what would be involved in using '73 hardware in a '74-76 door. So, your best bet for doors is to swap the entire thing, including the window, hardware, and mechanisms. And make a note of that if you have to buy glass or window hardware.

There's a thread here with a bunch more info on the differences between Duster and Dart doors. You could in fact use a Dart door on a Duster, but it would be some work to move the mechanisms and a couple of internal door brackets.
Demon door?? Which others fit?

-
Back