Dart Swinger seat covers . . . need help

-

Popdart

Reaction score
Legendary is having a December sale, and I've been in contact with them. I have a 1973 Dart Swinger. Problem I'm having is that I have buckets in the front and 1973 Dart Swingers did not come with buckets (sez Legendary). Previous owner sez they are out of a 1974 Valiant. I understand that the high back bucket Abody frames are the same and should be ok for recover. If I recover them, they will not match the rear bench (if I stay with 1973 design). I may be able to go with 1973 Duster (maybe Demon/Dart Sport too) buckets and rear bench. Does anyone know if the rear bench in Dart Swingers are the same frame as the Duster fixed rear seat? If it is, I could then go with that set the 1973 Duster front and back. Another option would be to go with a set from a 71 or 72 Dart Swinger. I also have to consider the match with the door panels. Any input or ideas? Help! Thanks, Rog

hey Rog call Chriss this guy makes seat covers for a living a bro here past his work on to me.1-716-870-4406 he sells on ebay.i am getting front buckets and rear seat covers for 250 good price.he says fit as good or better than org BUT there not the same design as org but look nice tho.i bet he can help you out.

I would think you could just go with the 73 Dart sport layout. The rear seat may not be a perfect match, but it may be close enough. Additionally, Legendary might make you "custom" sets using Swinger patterns to fit your buckets, then you just use the Swinger rear seat.

Hey Popdart, be careful on ordering seats. Duster, Dart Sports DO NOT have the same rear seat as a Dart Swinger. The bottom is but the top is a taller frame, cushion, and cover and will not fit a Swinger frame. The guy you spoke to was right. I believe 72 was the last year Swingers had buckets as an option as the Dart Sport took over as the 'hot rod' and the Swinger became the family cruiser. From a point of reference the back seats on 73 to 76 Swingers are the same. It is just getting a seat cover from a 74 Swinger and the bucket seat covers from the Dart Sport. All you have to do is have the pattern/grain checked to make sure its the same.

I am not stealing your thread but I am going through the same situation you are. I am not sure if I can fit 73 covers on my 70 seat in my Swinger as I have a 73 split bench with solid high back seat backs and a fold down armrest. I want to recover them both but do not have a 73 seat for reference so I am up a creek so to speak. Check out the picture and see my dilemna.
Chas.

008.JPG

009.jpg

005.JPG

Why don't you go with a 72 or 71 Dart bucket and rear seat design. We went with a 71 design on a 70 Dart and left out the buttons. All the buckets designs are the same. I think the rear seat is different from a Dart to a Duster. Hell I have "B" body seats in my Dart and everybody thinks they came with the car.

Duster/ Dart Sport rear seats will not work in Dart Swinger. The bottom cushion might but the top is taller due to the design on the Duster/Dart Sport. There is at least a 3 inch difference in the height of the top of tha back seat. It may be possible to take a seat cover for the back of a Duster/Dart Sport and shorten the top cover to match the size of the Swinger rear seat cover. You would have to measure and see if the material would hold up to the tug of them hog rings though!
Chas.

Thanks guys, thats some good info. I'm working with Legendary also trying to figure this out. The 1972 idea sounds good. Also the Dart Sport idea sounds good for 1973 as I could get the buckets done stock for the year, they should match my rear seat. Anyone out thre have a 73 Dart Sport?? Show me your buckets!! I included pics of what I have now. Well thanks again for the good info, you guys are A+.

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Why not just go to your local shop and have them recover what you have. You can pick out what ever pattern you want and be done with it. You won't have to worry about these cookie cutter type of dealers. I worked at a shop when I was in high school and we could recover anything you wanted, the shop I worked at is still going strong.

You can probably buy front bucket seat covers for a 73 dart sport and get 73 rear seat covers for a swinger from legendary.

My car came with a front bench seat out of 1971 swinger, and stock rear bench seat. I bought a seat cover for 69 0r 70 swinger clearance from the paddock (who sent a seat cover from legendary) and it fit fine and the slight difference in the upholstery styles is not very noticable. They just look like black vinyl seats.

Bob

Hey Popdart. Those buckets in your car are from a 74 Valiant Brougham or 74 Dart Special Edition 4 door. Hence the lack of the hardware to tilt them forward. I have some good news for you on that subject. If you remove the outer hinge cover you will see a solid bracket around two posts. One on the top seat frame and one on the bottom frame. This small bracket about 2 inches long is all that is holding the seat upright. There is a small alan head screw on the bottom side of the bracket that must be unscrewed. Then you can pull it off and the seats will tilt forward. Only problem is now there is no way to keep the seats in an upright position on braking and while driving you wont notice but that passenger seat back will be falling forward and banging the dash whan you stop the car. This is a problem but I can solve it for you. I once used a 73 Charger with a bench seat in it and the locking hardware was the same hardware used on them a body seats. In adition 71 up Sattelites and Coronet 2 doors also have the same hardware. They even use the same hinge covers with the proper hole cut into it for the locking knob. Just hit a boneyard and look for a car with a seat and pull the hinge cover. All that is needed is there. A 'c'' clip holds the locking bracket on and behind it is a plasic washer. There is also a small spring on the back of the bracket that needs to be removed. This is all that is there and all you will need. It will fit directly on to your seats and when installed you will have functioning buckets. I went through this myself with my Dart Sport putting the same types of seats in.

I just realized you are in Howell Michigan. You may not have much luck finding a needed car in a boneyard. There isnt many decent Mopars in junkyards around here that have not been stripped out prior to being put out in the yard. You can maybe hook up on Moparts and cruise the B body section for someone stripping out a needed car or Craigslist always has something on it. If you need any help drop me a line at [email protected] or pm me on the board.
Chas.

Yes you are right about the 74 Valiant Brougham seats and they do tilt at the present time but do not lock. I was concerned about that. Thanks for that info I will be wanting to have the seats lock as stock Abody seats do. You were also correct when you said there were no good boneyards to find old Mopar stuff. Nothing around here. They recycle everything. Thanks a bunch, Rog

Popdart, that seat is like new. It came from a 30,000 mile 73 Dart Sport. I found it on Craigslist in Door County Wi. 475 miles round trip to pick it up as it was that nice. The thing that had me travel that far was the guy wanted only $50.00 bucks for it. WAY to good to pass up.

I did a search on Moparts. Found a guy that has the handle of 'Joel' on the 70s B body parts for sale thread on page #1. Says he has a bench seat from a 72 Sattelite/Road Runner. Only wants $20.00 bucks for the whole seat. Bet he would let the hinge covers and hardware go maybe at less of a cost?? Anyhow if you can get the c clip, washer, spring, and the locking piece you should be good to go. If he can send you a pic of the seat and get a close up of the hinge cover and its the same as what you have with the little chrome knob sticking out behind the hinge cover the parts will be correct for your seats. Good luck bud!!
Chas.

I couldn't find that guy on c/l. I'll just take one thing at a time . . . get the covers first. I'm trying get covers from Legendary right now, communication hit a snag. Thanks, Rog

-
Back