Dartin for Divorce

-
Thought this was funny...

Screenshot_20210110-202103_Facebook.jpg

1973298669, member: 56591"]Ones that attach to a die grinder? I've seen some that attach to dremels.[/QUOTE] Technically, they can all be called "die" grinders. The term comes from the old days of the "tool and die maker" occupations. The used those rotary tools for making dies for stamping production tools or car panels or what have you. It is quite a skill set and was an art that is now lost to CNC machining.

@Bodyperson i think it still is a skill, just one that isn't as required as before due to CNC. I bet there are still some guys who prefer hand ported heads for certain applications.

Smaller burrs and my air grinder is much easier to shape everything. I'm going to end up with a dremel or that HF rotary grinder I think.

20210111_165848.jpg

20210111_165927.jpg

20210111_165956.jpg

20210111_170135.jpg

20210111_170251.jpg

Nice pics Doc. I cant' tell you if the porting is good but the pics are. lol. It looks like you did some serious opening of that port.

Hermey, what are you doing with those heads!?!
I want to be a dentist.

Seriously though, that looks really great. Now you have to rinse and repeat exactly like that 7 more times on the intake side, and then do the exhaust side

Hermey.jpg

To gasket match the area where the heads mate to the intake, you spray machinest dye on the gasket surface, then trace the gasket perimeter with a sharp scribe so you have an outline to follow.

Nice pics Doc. I cant' tell you if the porting is good but the pics are. lol. It looks like you did some serious opening of that port.

It actually looks a lot smoother from the eye. Once you take a picture its easier to pick up on all the little imperfections.

Its definitely a lot more open thsts for sure. I think if I were going to want to use this port I'd just try to smooth everything and then trim the guide.

Think in terms of "boundary layer", like dimples in a golf ball. Keep it rough means generate boundary layer turbulence.

It actually looks a lot smoother from the eye. Once you take a picture its easier to pick up on all the little imperfections.

Its definitely a lot more open thsts for sure. I think if I were going to want to use this port I'd just try to smooth everything and then trim the guide.
I guess what I am saying is that I do not know if the areas that you removed the material from is what increases flow.

I guess what I am saying is that I do not know if the areas that you removed the material from is what increases flow.

Neither do I... I just tried to make it look like the pictures on other FABO porting threads.

I'll probably start on port #2 this weekend.

Neither do I... I just tried to make it look like the pictures on other FABO porting threads.

I'll probably start on port #2 this weekend.
Are you getting advise on doing it right? No sense in practicing the wrong way:)

Are you getting advise on doing it right? No sense in practicing the wrong way:)

Kind of... a lot of good information is found in the old threads. Where guys say where to open it up, where different water jackets are and where different bolts go through.

The best advice... get aluminum heads when you can afford them lol. Tony says the same thing, when I can buy them get some cnc speed master heads. And 4in stroker kit lol...

Last edited:
Aluminum heads have the additional advantage of thermal dispersant capability; in other words, if you can run 10:1 compression with iron heads before you run into detonation, you can run 11:1 compression with aluminum heads on the same fuel, because the aluminum heads transfer more heat to the coolant jackets than iron.

Aluminum heads have the additional advantage of thermal dispersant capability; in other words, if you can run 10:1 compression with iron heads before you run into detonation, you can run 11:1 compression with aluminum heads on the same fuel, because the aluminum heads transfer more heat to the coolant jackets than iron.

Oh I did not know that...

The worst part about aluminum heads is it will be expensive... not only with heads but then you have to think about taking advantage of the heads and the air they can flow... its a quick snowball... maybe my side job of porting cast heads will pay for the snowball lol.

.... went to the park.... had to hold the door shut because my door thingy fell into the door... I have to fix the rear window anyways...

20210114_162429.jpg

Well. Got the hard part done.

Gotta figure out how the door catch piece goes in and stays secure... then to adjust the window.

20210115_215707.jpg

20210115_215606.jpg

20210115_215654.jpg

20210115_215638.jpg

-
Back