Dartin for Divorce

-
i'd take off what you can with the wheel, scuff up the rest of it with some 120 grit. primmer and paint. if you lightly wet sand with some 600 grit between coats, they'll come out pretty nice.
also, if you haven't used one of those with a cup brush before, go slow until you get a feel for it

Sounds like a plan! I got the paint an primer, I'll grab some 5-600 grit paper when I grab a wheel tomorrow and give it all a shot! Don't want to spend more on sandblasting and painting than I did on the wheels

Wire wheel is working great! About 30 minutes of working. Got a 3in for the grinder as it was the biggest one home Depot had and got a 2in for the cordless drill .

20191007_145852.jpg

Brake cleaner helps get the thick red paint off that the grinder has a hard time reaching. All of the front faces are about as clean as I'm going to get them.

Fun fact- one of these wheels, which I'm assuming was the spare, is a 15x6 not a 15x7

I think I have decided I'm just going to do the 11in brakes. Save a little money from having to get 11.75 rotors and the caliper brackets for 11.75 rotors.

Also tires? Should I get the bigger rear or do the same size all the way around? I can't decide! I've also read guys pulling off 275s in the rear with just the 3/4 spring relocation, I really want to try because then I could get the tires I want. So many hard decisions.

Brake cleaner helps get the thick red paint off that the grinder has a hard time reaching. All of the front faces are about as clean as I'm going to get them.

Fun fact- one of these wheels, which I'm assuming was the spare, is a 15x6 not a 15x7

I think I have decided I'm just going to do the 11in brakes. Save a little money from having to get 11.75 rotors and the caliper brackets for 11.75 rotors.

Also tires? Should I get the bigger rear or do the same size all the way around? I can't decide! I've also read guys pulling off 275s in the rear with just the 3/4 spring relocation, I really want to try because then I could get the tires I want. So many hard decisions.
More rubber out back can never hurt. That said, you can squeeze things in with the right tire and rim combo. I’m far from an expert in that area so I’ll digress to someone more knowledgeable. There is a good tool on eBay to help you measure rim and tire specs. It’s like 70 bucks, I’ll see if I can find the link to it

More rubber out back can never hurt. That said, you can squeeze things in with the right tire and rim combo. I’m far from an expert in that area so I’ll digress to someone more knowledgeable. There is a good tool on eBay to help you measure rim and tire specs. It’s like 70 bucks, I’ll see if I can find the link to it

I have stock steelies 15x7 with 4.25 backspace. I think I've literally read every thread on tires and I keep coming back to tires are like women .eventually you pick one and learn to love them. :rofl:

I have stock steelies 15x7 with 4.25 backspace. I think I've literally read every thread on tires and I keep coming back to tires are like women .eventually you pick one and learn to love them. :rofl:
Well said.

It makes all the time, money and effort worth it. I can't run to the gas station without someone coming up and telling about the time... Usually it revolves around high school, sometimes it includes a girl.

Just being able to bring back great memories for people makes I worth it.

The other thing I do is when I go to cruise-ins or car shows is allow small children to sit in the driver's seat to have a picture made. My car is a driver so I'm not anal about stuff like that.

Good on you to let kids sit in you car, they probably seen things like roll up window cranks.
I went up to a Dr. appointment and ran into the cleaning lady from work, she had her young grand son maybe around 6-8 years old, he was a few years behind my youngest son, because we always gave her my sons clothes.
And she was always thankful, because they just did not have the finances to get him new clothes each year for school.
I happened to drive my vette that day, Weiand supercharger.
The boy did not want to sit in the car, he said he was not allowed to touch nice things.
I started the car up, and said I can see in your eyes you want to sit in it, you will not hurt it.
I let him press the lould pedal down a couple of times, not worried because it had a rev limiter on it.
His grandma later told me that is all that kid talked about for weeks, making noise in a vette.

I have 275 on a 7 inch wheel on my duster, but dusters have larger fenders than darts have, look for a 255

something about tires, traction is a good thing always, especially if your going to have the kiddos riding with you, as you now see with the mod bug in full mode there are never ending things to spend money on, make things faster, stop better, look better, etc. Find a set of tires that provide decent traction, if you improve your traction too much you will start chasing how to get more power to get the car to do the burnouts like it used to do, BFG T/As and Cooper Cobra are some good tires, generally pretty available and at least the Coopers are a little more gentle on the wallet. Another thing your gonna find out soon enough, it is easier to find parts to buy, but its always hard to find people to buy parts and it is almost always a discount on what you think their worth, choose your parts carefully, you will have a stockpile that your gonna have to buy another car to put them on. This is not from experience but from a story I was told, or maybe it was a dream I had.

Keep on moddin!

First coat of primer on the front face of the new wheels. I grabbed black primer because I felt like maybe it will help the black gloss show better. I'm going to wet sand and do one more coat of primer before doing the gloss black and sealer.

20191008_174827.jpg

20191008_174836.jpg

20191008_182048.jpg

20191007_173501.jpg

Was able to do some good today. My buddy had his car stolen 2 nights ago and it had his kids 3 carseats in it. I picked him up some new car seats and delivered them to him so he has 1 less thing to worry about.

Was able to wet sand the wheels and apply another coat of primer on them today. I also got the spray gun type tip for the spray paint cans so my daughter can spray it easier, needless to say spray she did! A couple of the wheels have a little dripping on them, but it's ok she had fun. I'll wet sand them again as best I can before starting to apply the gloss black. I'm also going to scuff up the back side a little and spray those gloss as well. Here's the color for the spare, my wife is trying to convince me to do all of the wheels the sparkle purple.

I also decided on tires, I can get the Cooper cobras for like 480 installed at Sam's club but I'm loving this tread pattern in the Hercules H/P 4000. Like M/T they are owned and manufactured by Cooper and some are still made in the US, they also are roughly the same price as the Cooper's. A local guy with a built Nova has them and swears by them. I've read reviews online and in B-bodies and most guys (and girls) like them, also staying they are a little stickier than the cobras. I also like that there are 6 runways for water vs the 4 that the Cooper's have. Hercules also does this cool replacement for 2 years, I'll give em a go. It's not like they can be less sticky than the 8/9 year old BFGs that I currently have.

Screenshot_20191009-211438_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191009-211237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191009-212606_Samsung Internet.jpg

20191009_183107.jpg

20191009_182532.jpg

looks good.
and :thumbsup: for your daughter being able to stand on those rocks bare foot.

Well these wheels are pissing me off just a little. Wet sanded the second coat of primer and found a couple spots bare of paint. It's my own fault but dang this stuff comes off so easily, I'm debating on what to do. Touch the spots with primer again and hope it doesn't sand back off or not worry about it to just paint the wheels with the gloss black.

I'm also still trying to figure out what to do about shock plates. I saw that the plates from the 8 1/4 fit the 8 3/4, so maybe I can go grab those off of the Gran fury I took everything else off of. Then I've still bee holding out on hopefully finding a good set of used axle shafts before buying new.

I'm going to try and pull the axle and 3rd out in the next couple of days and give those a nice scrub and spray them shiney black too. Maybe I'll paint everything. I also haven't decided on a bushings kit yet, I found on Rock Auto a full bearing replacement kit for like 160.

20191010_171618.jpg

20191010_171658.jpg

20191010_171703.jpg

It's been a slower week. Painted 2 coats gloss on the back face of the wheels. Debating about wet sanding them?

Sanded the 8 3/4 figured I would give that some paint as well. Tomorrow I will spray it and try to get the calipers and drums cleaned/sprayed.

I've been looking and trying to figure out how I'm going to set this rear end up. I know I'll get axle shafts from Dr Diff, then I've been debating on the shock plates, and spring relocations. I've seen some people re-use their 7 1/4 plates just drill the holes out to fit 3' U-bolts. Also spring relocations? Should I do that? I don't know. I also don't know about the brake lines, do I just re-use mine and what the heck is bench bleeding ha I guess I'll have to watch some YouTube on that.

The 3rd member needs cleaned on the outside.
The gears and sure grip unit feel brand new, besides a little surface rust on like 5 spines of the gear.

Oh also. The sparkle purple is Amazing! If my car was more of a purple I would totally do them all like this!

20191015_180744.jpg

20191015_183850.jpg

20191015_171602.jpg

20191015_183629.jpg

20191015_183841.jpg

20191015_181850.jpg

20191015_181903.jpg

In this application you'd be fine just redrilling the spring plate. I opted to run a nice thick universal spring plate sourced from a offroad fab shop. Either way, just make sure your ubolts are in good shape, Ive seen them rusted/pitted more than once.
Spring relocation kit. I'm not sure how much tire clearance your going to gain, the inner fender will be your limiting factor. You should be good to go running 245/60's with your current setup. I"m running 235/60's, I have the same wheels as you and perches are in the stock location. I could run a 245 if needed.
Your stock hard lines and Tee will probably work out, I would run a new rear brake hose. You could also order a set of lines up, or even build your own.

In this application you'd be fine just redrilling the spring plate. I opted to run a nice thick universal spring plate sourced from a offroad fab shop. Either way, just make sure your ubolts are in good shape, Ive seen them rusted/pitted more than once.
Spring relocation kit. I'm not sure how much tire clearance your going to gain, the inner fender will be your limiting factor. You should be good to go running 245/60's with your current setup. I"m running 235/60's, I have the same wheels as you and perches are in the stock location. I could run a 245 if needed.
Your stock hard lines and Tee will probably work out, I would run a new rear brake hose. You could also order a set of lines up, or even build your own.

Sounds Good! I am purchasing parts right now!

Yukon Rear Axle kit that comes with everything, green bearings seals and press in studs.

Brake pads and disc brake retaining hardware. Autozone has a 20% off coupon so its 350 shipped to me for all of that. I'm now just debating on front rotors. If I should just clean mine up and go resurface them or find new ones. Drilled and slotted are 150... Don't need drilled and slotted I don't think because I wont see them, but the auto stores near me have brake rotors for like 70 each...

I painted the axle housing, it looks 100x better. Today I will try and get the 489 case cleaned up. Then I just need everything to come in the mail and I can swap it all out.

Have you measured the thickness of your front rotors? If they are not grooved, warped on too thin they are serviceable.

Have you measured the thickness of your front rotors? If they are not grooved, warped on too thin they are serviceable.

They are pretty thick, just a little crusty and rusty, like everything else that had been sitting in the desert for the past 7/8 years
20191002_074705-jpg.jpg

you can take them to a real auto parts store, (one that actually turns rotors), and have them measure them. but i'd just throw them in the vinegar bath and run em'.

-
Back