Dartin for Divorce

-
Are you sure the fluid can flow thru those kinked up sections?

Fluid was coming out of the line from the MC to the proportioning valve last night after I installed the line on the MC so I'm thinking my answer to your question is yes.... but me thinking and being correct are usually actually wrong according to my wife :lol:

What happens when you drive it? When I re-did my brakes the brake pedal would keep going soft. I drove it twice and re-bled the brakes twice, and the pedal finally remained firm. My theory is that when you drive it, bubbles either form, or they break free from somewhere, and cause a soft pedal until you can get them all out of the system.

This is what I'm trying right now. I bled it, goes a little soft where I have to pump them to form them up. I'll bleed them again when I get home.

Had my wife help bleed the system starting with the MC. It's much better but still not perfect on first pump. Now I get this sticking type sound from my prop valve. maybe because i added a spacer between it and the body just in case the rod was to long? Ps brake fluid sucks.

It's the trumpet like sound you hear right after my daughter yells. I press the brakes, hold them and it's like there is either air in the prop valve or something is sticking inside it and that sound is made when it releases.

I've searched and I swear I have it set up correctly. Top line comes from the rear port of the MC and feeds the 2 front disc brakes. The bottom front port comes from the front port of the MC and feeds the rear brakes?

prop_warning.jpg

4541945-DSC04269.JPG

I've been having my wife let the pedal fall to the floor before I close the bleeder, maybe this is why it's not bleeding perfectly? Should I not allow the pedal to fall to the floor? I read on here just now that it can "trip" the proportioning valve."

If prop valve trips, it should ground the switch for the brake warning light. Usually a good hard push resets the valve.

I've been having my wife let the pedal fall to the floor before I close the bleeder, maybe this is why it's not bleeding perfectly? Should I not allow the pedal to fall to the floor? I read on here just now that it can "trip" the proportioning valve."

I bleed brakes by myself....too frustrating for both my wife and I ! :BangHead: The way I do it is with a quart of brake fluid, and a pint of brake fluid in a separate bottle to pour from. I do right rear, left rear, right front, left front....in that order. I use a glass soda bottle with a few inches of brake fluid poured into the bottom. It takes a while to do it this way, and you need peace and QUIET when you start. I take a vacuum hose, and run it from the open bleeder to the bottom of the drink bottle, below the fluid in the bottle. I then get in the car, and very slowly pump the brake pedal down, while listening to the bubbles blowing into the bottle. That's why you need it quiet...so you can hear it bubbling. When you release the pedal slowly and let it come back up, it will suck brake fluid out of the bottle instead of air. Push it down slowly again, listening for the bubbling, then slowly ease it back up. Check the fluid in the master cylinder, and add some to fill it back up. You have to check it more often with the back brakes, because the reservoir is smaller. When you hear no more bubbles being blown into the bottle, stop and close the bleeder before removing the vacuum hose or moving the bottle. Move on to the next wheel, and repeat. You can do the same thing with a Mighty Vac tool, but my hillbilly way works just fine for me...lol.

My brakes work... give me a good hard stop if I slam on them while going 50. I am probably going to get some new lines from the MC though.

I took the girls to lunch today, gave my space exhaust to a local guy, and am going to check my cylinder compression in a little bit. Oh I also found my jingle!

20200301_142357.jpg

20200301_134037.jpg

20200301_134047.jpg

20200301_134110.jpg

20200301_164838.jpg

These are either normal or my engine is running hot. The rear plugs ( cylinders 6-8)have more oil on them as well.

20200301_180540.jpg

20200301_180557.jpg

20200301_180637.jpg

20200301_180646.jpg

20200301_180719.jpg

20200301_180714.jpg

20200301_180730.jpg

Good job ! Looks like all your ladies are hooked from the picts !! Nice work. :thumbsup:

The little ones like it, still working on the big one. Shes a little upset with me right now because I ran outside and checked the cylinder compression before bed....

Here are the results. Dont know what's going on with cylinder 3 as it was definitely the lowest,133 might even a psi or two generous.

20200301_204720.jpg

I'm going to try and check my lift on my current camshaft with it installed, hopefully I dont mess anything up. Because now I'm having second thoughts on my cam and if I should get a different one like the lunati voodoo 268! Going to wait until after MATS because maybe I'll find a good deal there.

@69_340_GTS you don't think I should try my TC out and see how it feels before buying a new on? I get buying a new one is the safe bet but so far all my spare parts havent let me down lol.

Thanks again @67Dart440GT the radiator is perfect with no leaks! My daughter approves she says "it's so pretty!"

The radiator says yes to the transmission cooler on jegs and summit, is it built in and do I need one still or should i buy a new one?

20200303_180707.jpg

20200303_180804.jpg

Last edited:
I like to do some things just once. Removing and replacing an automatic transmission is not something I want to do if I don't have to!

Just curious? Are you looking for more performance? Ive heard talk of cam, converter etc..

Just curious? Are you looking for more performance? Ive heard talk of cam, converter etc..

Always haha!

I already have a camshaft and lifters. I purchased them a while ago, then people started saying I'd need a converter so that's how these have come up. I already have an extra trans and converter just dont know if its stock, in good working condition, broken etc etc.

I'm a mess and cant not be getting my hands dirty or tearing the car apart :lol:

I understand always working on the car. I think you have some power that can be brought out by some engine tuning. A good baseline would eliminate all guessing, get this thing on a chassis dyno. If it were me I'd be looking at installing some proper gears out back..

I understand always working on the car. I think you have some power that can be brought out by some engine tuning. A good baseline would eliminate all guessing, get this thing on a chassis dyno. If it were me I'd be looking at installing some proper gears out back..

I just installed 3.23 gears and sure grip :) I thinks it's probably 7-10pgs back. I also got a new carb, its tuned right out of the box right?! Actually I would love to learn to tune the carb properly and Dyno tuning would be fun but I think that is expensive and have no clue where you could do that in Las Vegas. I'll have to look.

Those gears are a good compromise for a driver. You carb OTB is good enough to let the car run. However, between the carb and your ignition there is some power hiding in there. I googled chassis dyno in vegas and multiple popped up instantly. I'd give them a call, probably much more reasonable than you think.

Those gears are a good compromise for a driver. You carb OTB is good enough to let the car run. However, between the carb and your ignition there is some power hiding in there. I googled chassis dyno in vegas and multiple popped up instantly. I'd give them a call, probably much more reasonable than you think.

Yea I googled them too. Slippery slope this mopar thing!

I love this car and am so thankful for all the help from the guys (and gals if there are some) in this thread and here on FABO.

Ordered Comp Cams 901 springs, the jegs brand xhp transmission cooler 11 x 9.5 x 3/4in that is supposed to flow 24,000 GVW, and the Jegs brand double roller timing chain.

I originally ordered the B&M transmission cooler but the jegs was 15 dollars cheaper and was larger. I am pretty sure it is the exact same as the B&M cooler.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace my ac condenser as well, even if my ac isn't working currently.

Put the plugs and wires back on then adjusted my carb as the engine was running a little lean. Engine doesn't shake as much and the car pulls much harder to 60mph.

Then went for our weekly friday slurpee run. I always put the car seats in for the kids but I'm going to have to do something for the back seat. The covers are so old and dry even after trying to condition them multiple times the seam is starting to tear.

Overall I'd say today was a success!

20200306_155357.jpg

20200306_155456.jpg

20200306_155911.jpg

-
Back