Dartin for Divorce

-
I'm pretty sure the therm goes this way as well. That's what the manual looks like it says .

20190802_203702.jpg

Well stayed cool on the drive to the DMV, I had to drive here to get a VIN check so I can get it registered and titled. When I get home I'll flush the coolant again.

The stock guage stayed pretty much on the C the whole way here (4-5miles).

Definitely burning oil, it looks like the last bolt of the exhaust manifold but honestly it could be from the back of the valve cover, as those gaskets are toast. I'll pick some up today from my neighborhood Mopar parts store... O'Riely's.

Next weekend I'll try and put the gaskets, headers and exhaust on. It might be slow going the next 2 weeks because we have finals. Then right after finals I have to study for National Boards Exam. Why can't I be a rich old retired guy with my kiddos and grandbabies playing at the house yet .

20190803_080103.jpg

20190803_080904.jpg

I would leave it idling in the driveway to get the temp up abit before flushing again. ( that's just me thou). Valve cover gasket is highly likely the oil leak, or possibly the back of intake gasket . Last bolt hole on exhaust will leak antifreeze or exhaust fumes. Not sure if you have read about our mopars, but, exhaust bolts go into the cooling jackets...drain fluid before removing exhaust manifolds. Maybe incorporating last rad flush with exhaust change will save time/ antifreeze mess...

By the way, good luck on your finals ! ( maybe leave the exhaust until after your finals, that way you can always go for a quick cruise with the family to relax). Exhaust bolts have been known to snap off causing more headaches ect.

I would leave it idling in the driveway to get the temp up abit before flushing again. ( that's just me thou). Valve cover gasket is highly likely the oil leak, or possibly the back of intake gasket . Last bolt hole on exhaust will leak antifreeze or exhaust fumes. Not sure if you have read about our mopars, but, exhaust bolts go into the cooling jackets...drain fluid before removing exhaust manifolds. Maybe incorporating last rad flush with exhaust change will save time/ antifreeze mess...

Oh the temp got a little high on the drive home as it is a little warm out right now and it's just water and the radiator/coolant system/engine cleaner. They didn't have cleaner posted above so I got this one at O'Riely.

Ok so it's probably leaking antifreeze through the last bolt in the exhaust manifolds as that's where the smoke is coming from and pooling of a little liquid right there. Is there a way to get it to stop leaking when I reinstall the new manifolds.

20190803_085232.jpg

20190803_090121.jpg

20190803_083702.jpg

Yea finals suck and I'm not very smart... Better at the actual hands on dentistry part; classes and books not so much, just take a bunch of my adderrall (I have bad adhd) and power study the night before the test

moving faster than me, hopefully I will at least be able to get mine up and running to find out any more hidden gremlins

Keep in mind that gauges are usually designed so the needle is in the middle of the range at optimum. You may not be getting hot at all.

I added an aftermarket temp gauge. In the winter you can see the thermostat opening and closing!!! In the summer mine will creep above 180* in traffic and after shutting off the engine, but doesn't go over 205.

Many factory thermostats were 195*.

Keep in mind that gauges are usually designed so the needle is in the middle of the range at optimum. You may not be getting hot at all.

I added an aftermarket temp gauge. In the winter you can see the thermostat opening and closing!!! In the summer mine will creep above 180* in traffic and after shutting off the engine, but doesn't go over 205.

Many factory thermostats were 195*.

Yea I saw it was a 195 therm and went with a 180 therm... Vegas is hot and I had already pissed antifreeze everywhere so I'd rather try and run a little cooler. Until the cooling system and engine is up to par.

Here's more pictures of my leaks exhaust manifold bolt it looks like and the rear of the valve cover .

I may paint the valve covers while I have them off, but I'd love me some like this! PS what are the large breather hoses for? The hose on mine isn't connected to anything ...

20190803_092238.jpg

20190803_092244.jpg

20190803_092819.jpg

moving faster than me, hopefully I will at least be able to get mine up and running to find out any more hidden gremlins

Well we had a good base to start with. Technically it was already running and driving. So I'm just chasing Gremlins, which sucks, but gives us stuff to do .

That breather hose is typically connected to the air cleaner/filter. The other side should have a PCV valve connected to vacuum.

These old girls wouldn't be fun if we didn't have to work on them!!! I can tell you are enjoying yourself and, better yet, you include your family. I love watching your thread:)

These old girls wouldn't be fun if we didn't have to work on them!!! I can tell you are enjoying yourself and, better yet, you include your family. I love watching your thread:)

Yea I'm having a blast and so is my daughter. I started the thread to not only keep track of the progress, show my progrrss, but also so maybe one day when my kids are older I can show it to them and they might get some smiles from it .

I love working in cars, just wish I knew more about this car, I also wish there was a local Mopar guy around town that would be willing to look it over and teach me a little bit haven't found one yet.

Thanks and I'm glad you're enjoying it! If it weren't for a couple of you in here it would be awefully quiet and me talking to/ asking questions to a blank internet wall

If you have a pressure washer, squirt the back of the motor where the suspected leak is with purple power and let it sit for a bit. Then pressure wash it to get all the old grease/gunk off. That will make it easier to track down the leak. Hard to tell in the pic, but it doesn't really look like a coolant leak? Keep up the good work! :)

If you have a pressure washer, squirt the back of the motor where the suspected leak is with purple power and let it sit for a bit. Then pressure wash it to get all the old grease/gunk off. That will make it easier to track down the leak. Hard to tell in the pic, but it doesn't really look like a coolant leak? Keep up the good work! :)

Yep I have a pressure washer and I already purchased some engine degreaser and simple green. I'm always worried about pressure washing engines because my step mom one time pressure washed my dad's truck engine and messed something up.

I'm will do that today though! As always awesome help from great people in this place!

If it pops and crack after you wash it, take the distributor cap loose and spray some WD40 or other stuff like that in it. Sometimes, it will cause condensation in the cap when you wash the engine. Just try not to spray directly on electrical components, and you should be ok. If it ends up that you truly do have a water leak back there, it could possibly coming from one or both of the freeze plugs in the back of the block. If that's the case, you will see water/antifreeze dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing, but not running down the back of the motor. I had that happen to a 71 Challenger I used to own. I pulled the engine to replace all the freeze plugs....and it turned into TTI headers, a new Comp cam, a 727 swap, and a new exhaust system. Things snowball quickly! :BangHead:

So I can pick up fel-pro gaskets for the exhaust manifold and valve cover today at napa. I may buy them and use the soak in water to let them expand then rtv high heat silicone based sealer on them.

Or should I just online purchase the Percy seal 4 good gasket? I'm just worried about having imperfections on the old headers causing a leak.

Well we had a good base to start with. Technically it was already running and driving. So I'm just chasing Gremlins, which sucks, but gives us stuff to do .

mine ran and drove when I got it, it had numerous things that needed finished and then I decided to change the camto something a little smaller, full on jackstand mounted trophy right now. LOL

mine ran and drove when I got it, it had numerous things that needed finished and then I decided to change the camto something a little smaller, full on jackstand mounted trophy right now. LOL

Yea well I told my wife this wasn't a project.... Well it's been a project since it got delivered and parked in the garage.

Getting plates right now. Don't know whether to get the "Old Timer" or "Classic Vehicle" plate .I think the old timer is funny, especially because I'm not old (relatively speaking) but my daughter says she doesn't like old things... Little turd

when it's cold, hit it with the simple green or engine cleaner, they work about as well. get a box of your work gloves, a tooth brush and a soft dish washing brush. soak the motor with cleaner, let sit 15 min and scrub what you can. then soak it again, wait and scrub. then pressure wash. it helps to get underneath if you have ramps to get the front end up a little. try not to hit the electrical stuff too heavy. you can wrap the distributor and alternator in plastic wrap. also have an old towel to use in mopping up the water that's going to pool on the intake manifold. looking forward to the "after" pics

I may buy them and use the soak in water to let them expand then rtv high heat silicone based sealer on them.
never heard of this, but trying to put RTV on a wet gasket is not going to work

never heard of this, but trying to put RTV on a wet gasket is not going to work

I actually read it on this forum if the gasket doesn't work, I'll just get another haha.

I already sprayed the rear of the engine and behind the engine once already today. So much Cleaner already. I'll give her another go today or tomorrow, depending on when I start studying. I only need likea 30% on final to pass the class because I got a 94 on midterm

-
Back