Dartin for Divorce

-
Exhaust 2.5in exhaust with flowmaster original 40 series muffler, bolted up to hooker headers is what I have sitting in the garage that came extra with the car.

Looked for videos online it sounds pretty good behind the 340.
it's tough getting a feel for the sound on video. i had that setup on one of my challengers, it didn't take any time at all to start getting complaints from the neighbors in the condo i was in at the time, especially when i'd go to work at 3am :rolleyes:

It’s funny seeing that car again after nearly 9 years was looking at purchasing that before buying the 67 Dart ,at the time it was selling for 16k had it inspected originally was a 6 and was fitted with a 70 gts 340 with all the goodies wasn’t good lots of rust and motor was blowing smoke so I let it pass and some one else brought it than it was on Mecom for ages for 24k than dropped to 19k and still passed in. Never seen it again after that. Still have the inspection photos on the other lap top.
i don't know what period of the cars life that pics from, just snagged it from online

it's tough getting a feel for the sound on video. i had that setup on one of my challengers, it didn't take any time at all to start getting complaints from the neighbors in the condo i was in at the time, especially when i'd go to work at 3am :rolleyes:

i don't know what period of the cars life that pics from, just snagged it from online

Was it loud and did you like it?

I love loud, old, big cam mopars, it's a sound of pure beauty. I dont have a big cam, at least I dont think I do.

i loved it, and it was loud. but it was also a 340 6-pak with a 4 speed, not original, so loud kind of fit it

Was it loud and did you like it?

I love loud, old, big cam mopars, it's a sound of pure beauty. I dont have a big cam, at least I dont think I do.

I have twin FlowMaster 40's on my 72 Fury III. It has stock exhaust manifolds but I did change the cam and put a 4 barrel on it. Then I bought a 4 barrel Air filter housing and put 360 4 Barrel stickers on it to make it look stock (360 only came 2 barrel). It sounds awesome thru the stainless steel exhaust and the 40's.

I have twin FlowMaster 40's on my 72 Fury III. It has stock exhaust manifolds but I did change the cam and put a 4 barrel on it. Then I bought a 4 barrel Air filter housing and put 360 4 Barrel stickers on it to make it look stock (360 only came 2 barrel). It sounds awesome thru the stainless steel exhaust and the 40's.

I dont really know the difference between 4 barrel, 6 pack etc etc. I was going to look it up later tonight Haha

Edit: Got it. 3 two barrel crabs for 6 pack

Last edited:
You might want to look up " what bolts reach water jackets on 340" in the "new posts" section. They're discussing manifold leaks.

Thanks! Just looked at the thread. Really good stuff on it for the wp, which I didn't know about so I'm glad u saw it .I was originally going to use RTV blue (that's the silicone sealant I believe) on the rear exhaust manifold bolts and all the wp bolts .I also got rtv black which is supposed to be for around the gaskets and are for high heat.

One person said rtv red, is that stuff better?

Honestly, I'm not sure if red is better, I've never used it. I've used black on front and back of intake. I didn't use anything on my son's header bolts when we swapped them out...lucky I guess with no leaks!(knock on wood). I'm fairly new here as well, and I tend to go with what the guys recommend overall.( taking everything with a grain of salt). So yes, I'd get the red.

Honestly, I'm not sure if red is better, I've never used it. I've used black on front and back of intake. I didn't use anything on my son's header bolts when we swapped them out...lucky I guess with no leaks!(knock on wood). I'm fairly new here as well, and I tend to go with what the guys recommend overall.( taking everything with a grain of salt). So yes, I'd get the red.

Yay just another thing to buy... Haha .

It's like Christmas in August! This weekend may be fun.
Stock fan shroud came in today, picked it up from a FABO member part out and the guy was amazing to work with! Thanks so much SGBARRACUDA for getting that shipped out so quickly and the packing was top notch, came in just like I picked it up on a shelf at the dodge dealer.

New wp and clutch fan, spark plugs (went with the champion coppers as I read some good stuff on FABO on them), VH1 oil again a FABO recommendation, compression tester as was suggested in here, exhaust manifold gaskets and mini starter for a 97 Dakota 5.2 with a lifetime warranty.

20190807_222517.jpg

Last edited:
ahhhh, my car had crabs!! :rofl:

Ha dang auto correct on the cellular device, didn't even catch that until just now and I read over it 3x today.

Speaking of crabs, I mean carbs, I was searching the FB marketplace today and found a Holley Street Avenger 670 for $175 that looks pretty much brand new. I also found an edelbrock 1411 750 CFM that just needs a new choke for 125 and a Brawler 650 CFM vac secondary for 225, Demon 750 and more. Since I am putting the headers and exhaust would it be worth while to pick that up and learn to tune/run it on my 340 over the paired with the Edelbrock 1405 (600 CFM). I have read the carburetor threads and it's a bunch of back and forth that I have no clue what is actually a good combination as everyone has had everything and is happy with what they have. Right now I have the stock X heads with stock valvetrain (rockers, rods and I hope cam but I'm not pulling everything apart to look), Edelbrock RPM Air Gap 7576.

20190807_224751.jpg

20190807_224759.jpg

Screenshot_20190807-224612_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190807-224546_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
your doing enough with it right now. stick with the carb you have and get it running well. enjoy the car for awhile as your checking out other cars and mulling over what all you want to do. when we get a new project, it's easy to get excited and start buying parts that end up being wrong, and wasting a lot of time and $$. takes a few years and projects for some of us to lean to slow down and plan things out...ask me how i know :rolleyes:

your doing enough with it right now. stick with the carb you have and get it running well. enjoy the car for awhile as your checking out other cars and mulling over what all you want to do. when we get a new project, it's easy to get excited and start buying parts that end up being wrong, and wasting a lot of time and $$. takes a few years and projects for some of us to lean to slow down and plan things out...ask me how i know :rolleyes:

I'm not good at slowing down and taking my time that's the ADHD. I honestly love the way the car is now and only plan on adding the parts that I already have and making sure it's in good running and working order. The only reason I really started looking at carbs was due to reading on here and seeing many people say the 1405 600 CFM carb I have it to small and the car would run better it I had a carb with more CFM on it.

The problem really came when I started reading on carbs, then people mention cams/lifters/rods and I get distracted and start looking at all that stuff as well haha. I actually found a complete engine rebuild kit for 250 on offer-up after that, came with pistons, rods, lifters etc etc etc. I get distracted way to easy, I literally have to lock myself in a quiet room with no one around me to be able to study.

Just think I'm missing the brackets to the fan shroud...

View attachment 1715375247
The brackets for the fan shroud are the same brackets that mount the radiator to the core support. You will see the four raised areas with holes in the center that correspond to the four holes on the sides of the shroud. You need four clip nuts or u nuts that slide over the flat part of that raised part of the radiator bracket so there will be something for the screw to hold onto.

The brackets for the fan shroud are the same brackets that mount the radiator to the core support. You will see the four raised areas with holes in the center that correspond to the four holes on the sides of the shroud. You need four clip nuts or u nuts that slide over the flat part of that raised part of the radiator bracket so there will be something for the screw to hold onto.

I'll pick some up or check it all out when I yank it all apart this weekend. Thanks so much!

The only reason I really started looking at carbs was due to reading on here and seeing many people say the 1405 600 CFM carb I have it to small and the car would run better it I had a carb with more CFM on it.

The problem really came when I started reading on carbs, then people mention cams/lifters/rods and I get distracted and start looking at all that stuff as well haha. I actually found a complete engine rebuild kit for 250 on offer-up after that, came with pistons, rods, lifters etc etc etc. I get distracted way to easy, I literally have to lock myself in a quiet room with no one around me to be able to study.
it might run better, might not. changing the carb and not tuning for it could make it a lot worse.
on the rebuild kit, without knowing what you actually need $250 is still not a deal. what size are the pistons? what size are yours? what kind of top do they have? what's it going to do to the compression ratio? do they have a stock pin location? will your block or heads need milling? there's literally a 1000 things you want to know before you buy a rebuild kit.
you have a great starting point there. i understand, i spend most of the time i can't work on something thinking about what to work on next.
write down what you want to do to the car, whole thing, however out of reach it might be. blown 408 with a 6 speed, whatever. then do the stuff that needs immediate attention and learn to work on what you have and keep updating the list as you see other cars. a lot of this depends on what kind of driving you want to do with it. cruising around with the family can be way different from a street car you can use for track days. and if your driving the wife and kids around, simple and reliable will keep them happy too

it might run better, might not. changing the carb and not tuning for it could make it a lot worse.
on the rebuild kit, without knowing what you actually need $250 is still not a deal. what size are the pistons? what size are yours? what kind of top do they have? what's it going to do to the compression ratio? do they have a stock pin location? will your block or heads need milling? there's literally a 1000 things you want to know before you buy a rebuild kit.
you have a great starting point there. i understand, i spend most of the time i can't work on something thinking about what to work on next.
write down what you want to do to the car, whole thing, however out of reach it might be. blown 408 with a 6 speed, whatever. then do the stuff that needs immediate attention and learn to work on what you have and keep updating the list as you see other cars. a lot of this depends on what kind of driving you want to do with it. cruising around with the family can be way different from a street car you can use for track days. and if your driving the wife and kids around, simple and reliable will keep them happy too

Simple driving around doesn't keep my daughter entertained haha, she is going to give me heart attacks for sure. Anytime we drive in any of our cars she wants to race everyone, go faster and go more faster, she's nuts.

Oh I wasn't mentioning I was going to buy the kit just showing how I get my ADHD going and start looking down rabbit holes so fast.

Youre right though, take my time and plan it out. I will probably stop looking at so many parts once I get it all up and running again after this weekend.

Simple driving around doesn't keep my daughter entertained haha, she is going to give me heart attacks for sure. Anytime we drive in any of our cars she wants to race everyone, go faster and go more faster, she's nuts.
sounds like my youngest daughter, 25, she's still gets on me for getting rid of the 69' i was driving when she was little. problem is she's right :BangHead:

Just like my Grandkids, Zach 8 and Peyton 6, faster Grampa, faster. I learned that if I open up the headers and stomp it a few times in 2nd gear they think I'm going, "Hundreds of miles fast" or I would have to drive a 150 every where I went just to keep em' happy. I love them little buggers, future hot rodders in the making. Keep up the good work with the Dart, you'll never be done with it but you will get it to where you want it, if that makes sense.

Jeff

I agree with kursplat. You have a great starting point here. No need to go crazy just yet. Get all your tuneup basics covered and then use your test equipment to help determine the health of this 340. Cylinder pressure, vacuum reading and timing. I would also like to see a oil pressure reading with a mechanical gauge. These numbers will give you a very good idea of how this engine is doing...hell, maybe get it on a chassis dyno. That being said, I would get the headers going.

Just like my Grandkids, Zach 8 and Peyton 6, faster Grampa, faster. I learned that if I open up the headers and stomp it a few times in 2nd gear they think I'm going, "Hundreds of miles fast" or I would have to drive a 150 every where I went just to keep em' happy. I love them little buggers, future hot rodders in the making. Keep up the good work with the Dart, you'll never be done with it but you will get it to where you want it, if that makes sense.

Jeff

That's exactly what I do! You punch it quick and slow down then punch it quick for the entire drive. My wife's car daily is much faster than mine so we do it often; it bugs momma too which makes us giggle .

-
Back