dash bezel crome?

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I am trying to refinish the crome on the plastic dash bezel. What is everyone using to make the crome look like crome. I have tryed the crome in a can stuff but it did not turn out very well. Any ideas?

I've tried chrome in a can. Works OK as a ten footer provided you don't try to seal it. (top)
I've tried aluminum tape. Holds up well under heat, unlike mylar, and can be burnished in to include fine details. Does not go around corners well. Tough to get seams right.
Sent the cluster to Mr. G's in Fort Worth plus the requisite check and got one of his in return. (bottom)
Both have appliques that are of the DIY variety.

Attachments

• INS_5032dr.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_6686s.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 444
check your phone book out to see if there is any kind of trophy shop around u. call them and see where they get their trophies plated. i ve got a place that did my 71 dash right up town. wasn t very expensive at all and it s the same vaccuum plating deal that the resto companies use.

I have seen silver paint from a hobby shop used. I bought these from e bay

Attachments

• Bezels, Speedo 007.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Bezels, Speedo 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 417
I have thought of mr. g's but am just not wild about the exchange thing, are there any places that will repair and plate your parts and return them, I just would rather have my car with the original parts it came with.

There is a member here that does the plastic rechroming. vae440 is his name on the forum.

The instrument cluster bezel, radio / heater bezel and glove box applique were striped of chrome, re-chromed, painted black and then wood-grained. All of the restoration work was done by Performance Car Graphics . The lens was polished, the gauges were re-calibrated and the needles and lettering were freshened up too.

Pricey... cost about $350.00 back in late 2002. They turned out perfect though.

100302-Performance_Car_Graphics_Dash_Panel_Resto-4.jpg

100302-Performance_Car_Graphics_Dash_Panel_Resto-6.jpg

100302-Performance_Car_Graphics_Dash_Panel_Resto-5.jpg

Check out vae-restorations. He's the member mentioned earlier. Best prices of just about anybody and excellent quality. There's a few threads recently with his work in it. I started one and another member started another.

I have thought of mr. g's but am just not wild about the exchange thing, are there any places that will repair and plate your parts and return them, I just would rather have my car with the original parts it came with.

That's not a problem unless you're in a hurry. Just tell them what you want to do. If you don't like the # they roll at you, at least the question got asked.

thanks to all who replyed.Great info. I think I am gonna send it out to have the proper chrome plating put back on it.

This is just my opinion....

Unless you're building a show car and have big pockets, I just don't see the need for sending the dash bezels out to get chromed and finished. It costs an arm and a leg to get a little bit of chrome put on when spray chrome costs $5 and a little bit of time. Of course it doesn't look the same but it's not like you're painting a bumper with it. It's just not enough of a change for me to comprehend spending another $200-300.

i think i only paid 70 bucks for my dash bezel to get replated. they also did some other odds and ends for that. when i said they weren t very expensive...i meant like...NOT 200 bucks. i m a tight *** and had to do a lot of hunting to find someone to do my plating. i almost paid 200 for a replated one, but couldn t bring myself to do it. i m telling ya....try to find someone that plates trophies and awards and crap. i bet you ll be surprised how much more affordable it is than spending that high dollar.

-
Back