Dash cap install help

-

searcher1990

Reaction score
I am trying to put on a new dash cap. it fits close but doesn't cover down over outside lips. Directions say to just start cutting away material, but before I do this I thought I would ask if anyone else has done this and had success. I do not want to destroy my dash pad unless I know the end result will be nice. not looking for a show piece but don't want crud either. My dash pad has two open tears now so is not just a restain to fix. Just dashes wants $700 to fix it. out of my range.

I haven't put one on, but heard you just need to take you time.

I put two of them on...they just snapped in place...popped it out ...put some glue on it...snapped back in...

Thx- I think I am just going to start cutting, try fit, cut, try fit. Slow like.

You have to ground away the extra plastic around the studs. If not, the dash pad won't seat properly...

before and after...did not grind anything...snap crackel pop.....just add milk....

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 302
Don't forget to check the ends as shown here. Part of the process of putting the vinyl on covers the hole at the bottom of the dash on each side. You have to grind the material away like shown below so you can get the screws in the ends of the dash so they sit down properly. This will affect the fit of the ends.

The fit is good when you are done...

Here is how the new one comes:

View attachment Dash Pad C13 b.jpg

Here's the old dash with the hole shown:

View attachment Dash Pad C12 b2.jpg

Here is the new one with the hole covered. You have to uncover it:

View attachment Dash Pad C13 b2.jpg

Here it is shown after I ground it:

View attachment Dash Pad C18 b b.jpg

View attachment Dash Pad C18 b.jpg

View attachment Dash Pad C19 b.jpg

View attachment Dash Pad C19 b2.jpg

Here it is installed:

View attachment Dash Pad C24 B.jpg

View attachment Dash Pad C28 B.jpg

^ ^ ^ Those 2 dash caps look great!! What brand did you use? Link ? Thanks :)

I must have a bad cap as I am like 3/8" away from covering over edges top and bottom. Thanks for the pictures and advice, I am still going to cut and fit and cut and fit. Hopefully tomorrow I can show some great finished pictures.

^ ^ ^ Those 2 dash caps look great!! What brand did you use? Link ? Thanks :)

I believe that we used Classic Industries.

They even say that you may need to trim the flash down. It wasn't too bad and fit great when done.

My dash cap was a plastic cover that glued over the stock pad. I had to cut out and grind down the cracks that had split in the original dash, so the cap would lie flat. Do you have a cap or a replacement dash pad. The replacement pads are reasonable $ wise, but the glue on caps are even less expensive, and look good installed.

OK, I don't know how you post pictures here as every time I try everything goes bye bye and I have to start from scratch. I have had to cut off EVERYTHING down to the metal frame of pad to get plastic cap to fit over and seal up edges. I have glued and clamped it down tight to metal frame. We will see how it turns out. I wish I could post pictures here but I have know idea how to load up using URL . when I go to my pictures there is no URL for me to see and when there is it doesn't work anyway. Thanks again for all your help guys.

My dash cap was a plastic cover that glued over the stock pad. I had to cut out and grind down the cracks that had split in the original dash, so the cap would lie flat. Do you have a cap or a replacement dash pad. The replacement pads are reasonable $ wise, but the glue on caps are even less expensive, and look good installed.

I have the replacement pad.

I must have a bad cap as I am like 3/8" away from covering over edges top and bottom. Thanks for the pictures and advice, I am still going to cut and fit and cut and fit. Hopefully tomorrow I can show some great finished pictures.

When you put your pad on do you push it fore ward as far as it goes . I mean push hard.
when I did mine I had the front window out. Mine was off like yours . I used short bungie hooked to cowl to pull pad and a piece of 2x4 inside wedged to push fore ward. If everything works that way take it apart and glue put back together , you have some time before glue sets. I also put weight on top of pad.

Attachments

• 003 (640x480).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 254
Got it glued up, we will see if it turned out ok tomorrow. Hope the picture comes through.

maybe now, magic picture appear!

Attachments

• dash cap.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 233
All that worrying for nothing. Came out great. Thanks for all the help FABO! I even learned to post pictures here along the way, sweet !

Attachments

• dash installed.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 236
looks good . The pads will take some heat but try to keep direct sun off of it they can wrinkle.

-
Back