Dash Disassembly

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling my dash apart and before I break somethin' how many screws/bolts whatever hold the center section on where the heater and radio controls are. How many bolts on the dash pad.

I need to pull everything so I can paint my dash.

All on my 74 Dart Sport.

Bruce, funny thing, i just got done doing this to my 73 duster, im sure it is close to the same.
dash pad is 5 - 3/8 cap nuts across the top , one directly in the middle and evenly spaced to the edges. where the pad drops down, there is one 5/16 headed screw on each side. my heater controls have 2 3/8 cap nuts and 2 screws holding it to the bezel.

mine were hand tight and i was able to twist them off with a deep socket and short extension. of course you need the gauge cluster out and the box liner , and you will need to pull the wiring harness down that runs above the cluster.

So how does the center bezel come out/off, how is it attached to the dash? I have all new stuff to put in.

So how does the center bezel come out/off, how is it attached to the dash? I have all new stuff to put in.

is it like this ? the heater controls hold it on from the back along with 2 screws

Attachments

• fp25.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 461
Nope, mine has the plastic with the woodgrain across the entire dash.

Attachments

• dash1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 463
its still the basic idea. remove the heater controls from the back and the 2 screws right above it for the bezel, and then you should have cap nuts holding the plastic panel on. once you get the glove box liner, the heater controls and the radio out of the way , it will come off easy.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Radio is out, glove box is out just need to pull the rest and paint.

Going from blue interior to black. New gauge cluster to include voltage gauge, bypassing the one in the cluster.

i dont know how yours is, but my heater control plastic housing and my gauge cluster was so brittle, it seemed like everytime i touched them they cracked or broke.

My gauge cluster is kinda that way, I have all three pieces so I'm going to replace it all.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Radio is out, glove box is out just need to pull the rest and paint.

Going from blue interior to black.

i just redid everything satin black in mine including a dash cap. im still waiting on my dash bezel which was broken and cracked.

heres a couple pics. the second pic is, yes, my old dashpad lol

Attachments

• fp14.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 467
  • fp29.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 434
  • fp32.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 437
  • fp39.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 445
Now I just need to find a radio to fill the hole. I ain't agonna cut the new bezel, uh uh, no way.

My gauge cluster is kinda that way, I have all three pieces so I'm going to replace it all.

are you reusing your center dash and glove box woodgrain?
in other words are you just putting new overlay on it or you have brand new pieces

That looks nice, I hope mine comes close. I need bucket seats now.

Are you sure a coat of paint wouldn't have cleaned that dash pad up? LMAO WOW

BAHAHAw ...lmao
i wish
i tell you what though, them dashcaps are the shiznit ! that thing fit like a glove

Sorry not much help, but had to laugh at the comment bout 73abodee dashpad!! LOL high expansion foam woulda fixed that right up!!

Now I just need to find a radio to fill the hole. I ain't agonna cut the new bezel, uh uh, no way.

do you listen to music when you are driving?
if you just need to fill the hole....
maybe we can work something out if you want mine, its only A.M.

I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to have AM/FM but everyone wants an arm and a leg for em.

Sorry not much help, but had to laugh at the comment bout 73abodee dashpad!! LOL high expansion foam woulda fixed that right up!!

hehehe Steve !

no **** man you should have seen this thing LMAO

Attachments

• fp30.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 434
  • fp12.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 439
  • fp13.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 431
Would like to know where you got it as well, going to have to remove my dash to try and hook up the windshield wiper arms and wanting/having to run new wiring.

Just an open question here if you don't mind me asking in your thread, I have a dart sport , can't hardly find anything for it but the duster takes the same parts like dash pad, wiper arms,body panels etc.. Right?

Would like to know where you got it as well, going to have to remove my dash to try and hook up the windshield wiper arms and wanting/having to run new wiring.

Just an open question here if you don't mind me asking in your thread, I have a dart sport , can't hardly find anything for it but the duster takes the same parts like dash pad, wiper arms,body panels etc.. Right?
In Canada we/ I use NOS reproductions

-
Back