dash frame removal

-

martys

Reaction score
hey hows it going i just got a new dash frame for my 73 swinger with everything to go with it since my old one is hacked to shitt and was wondering if what ive read is right and i have to take my windshield out in order to remove and install my new one, wich i really dont want to have to do, or is there a better way to do this? thanks

Windsheld has to come out. The bolts that hold in the dash are under the wether striping right under the windsheld. Sorry but it is the only way.

And If The Rubber Around The W/shield Is Real Hard,
Cut It Out W/a Utility Knife So You Dont Break The Glass If It Is Good.
What Is The Price Of A New Gasket. $50.00 ??

Gaskets are $100, New windshield is about $200.

If the dash is stripped down get under it with a cut off wheel and cut the clips that the bolts are in. They are push on C-clips. The dash will come out with the windshield still in the car. The problem is getting the dash bolted back in with the windshield in. You can put the bolts from the top down so you would have to put the clips on the dash itself and run the bolts up from underneath.

There's was a thread here sometime back (6 months?) regarding dash removal without windshield removal. From what I recall it has been done. I don't think it would be worth the headaches, don't remember how the guy got to the bolts - maybe you could search it. I would'nt bother trying myself - no patience and not as limber as I used to be - keep it simple.

Adam - could you tack weld it back in ? Been awhile since I've been there - but will be returning shortly on a Duster!

OK those bolts under that gasket are installed from top down through U nuts.
There was a guy here who stated he defeated those nuts from underneath.
He then pulled the dash and the remains of the bolts out from under the windshield gasket. To reinstall he placed new U nuts under the gasket and installed short bolts from the bottom up.
It does sound good but is it a good plan ?
I think there are 5 bolts to cut away under there. None would be easy to access unless you're willing to gut it, column, pedals, heater case.

I've gutted my Duster's interior & that's exactly what I plan to do. I think I might weld some tabs in & thread them to accept the bolts.

I just removed the dash assy, and left the windshield installed. I took out all the stock underdash stuff (wiper motors, rods, htr. box, column....) and cut off the screws at the nutplates. I'm restoring it, so all that stuff was coming out anyway. Stock, the screws go down through the dash, and the U nut is on the windshield frame flange.

To reinstall. I'm going to install the new nutplates on the dash side, then put a large washer under the screwhead. Putting the screws up through the winshield frame hole, into the dash, with the Unuts on them.

The secret is to trim the length of the screw so that it fully engages the U nut plate, but doenst push the gasket up into the glass.

The original style U nut, is pretty tall. some replacement ones are lower profile. the lower profile ones would probably work better than stock.

Worse case? you'll see the little screw bumps under the windshield gasket.

Doesn't sound like hack job to me ... who's gonna see it and if it's as sturdy as before so what ? Oh yeah, what if the judges check the installation :bootysha:

Ok ,you Win.
But Dont Tell The Kid To Use 2x4 Blocks For Motor Mounts.
Some Of Us Have Seen That .

You could drill new holes through both pieces and use rivets in them.

-
Back