Dash Gauges...am I nuts?

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
So, being a techno-phil I like shiney electronic stuff. I also need to replace my trashed dash pod in my Dart. I have a few VDO vision gauges, but I need to buy the rest of the set, and a new Fastlane West pod to mount them in.

Total cost would be around $450.

-OR-

I could get a blank Redline pod, and install one of these Intellitronix 6-gauge panels in it. Panel includes high beam and turn signal indicators, as well as all sending units and records 0-60 and 1/4 info.

Total cost would be around $475 (and I could sell my current VDO gauges).
I could also hack up my original non-working pod and maybe mount the gauge panel in that.....

http://www.intellitronix.com/6-gauge-panel.html

p-panels.jpg

I guess I should also specify that I purchased two of their stand alone 2-1/16 gauges for another project, and I liked the look. They also have a lifetime warranty.

DSC_0104.jpg

I don't think your nuts at all. I like the digital gauges in my daily driver = 1986 Nissan 300zx Non Turbo (NA) with the GLL Package = digital dash and the automatic climate control. My only complaint with the digital dash is that it's hard to see when the sun is shining through the windows onto the gauges - I have to block the sun with my hand to read them. The write up on these gauges from Intellitronix say they are built with Ultra Bright LED's - I'd ask to see if you would see them in direct sunlight. That's my 2 cents...

They sure look nice.

It's your nickel. Do what you like. Nothing is too expensive when it's your ride. Those gauges are "killer."

Have you ever lived with a digital dash car before? I have had a few over the years, and dislike them, a dislike that extends to clocks as well. I find them hard to metabolize the precise information provided particularly the speedometer. Your brain uses a lot more energy to decipher 53 mph vs. the swing of an analog needle. With analog, and most cars on the show room floor these days have reverted back to them, one can more precisely interpret speed, rate of acceleration, and with a glance see the general area the needle is pointing using no higher cognitive brain function to compare speed limit, and reading. Perhaps being a bit dyslexic taints my perspective on digital gages, but where most auto makes now install analog speedometers I suspect that they figured most folks don’t like the things.

That is a lot of dough for about five bucks worth of circuitry, but cool is cool to the eye of the beholder.

Just my 2 cents.

the volt gauge, odometer and the temp gauge are cool, but i personally would like analog for the rest, but im old school

Had a bike with a digital coolant temp gauge, hated that damn thing.

Well, the concept of digital doesn't bother me. I work in electronics and read digital readouts all day long. One of my previous vehicles was an Olds Cutlass with a digital dash. Had it for years and it never bothered me.

-
Back