Dash Harness ?

-

MOPAR4Me

Reaction score
I have a question.

Working on a 70 Duster 340 Duster 4 speed, all manual no A/C, which from all signs is all original 340 car. No hacking or signs of substute or fabricated rally harness.

Rally dash socket does not have the wires colors per 70 schematic found on mymopar website http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1970/70ValiantDusterB.JPG , or any other schematic I can find. I have already looked at other years between 66-71 and none match what I have. Other non-1970 year schematics also all consistently show the following wire colors and quantity,
-dark blue with trace,
-dark blue,
-orange,
-violet,
-red,
-light green,
-tan,
-grey and
-black.

But problem is my plug only has 8 wires and not all the same colors,
-dark blue with trace,
-dark blue,
-orange,
-violet,
-tan,
-black.

In addition, it has
-white, and
-black with trace.

But not present are the usual
-red,
-light green,
-tan, or
-grey

Hoping someone can help me figure out in what order the wires I do have should be placed in the socket, considering the wires can be placed in any sequence and location. I only have 8 wires to locate, and the socket has 11 slots in it.

Also the standard rally dash circuit board only has 8 pins, so knowing which color wire goes to which circuit board pin is ultimately what would allowing me to place the wire pin terminals in the corresponding socket position.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Try the actual shop manuals which generally are mover correct. Caveat: For a few years there was a mistake at the bulkhead connector concerning the horn feed wire green/ red

So far as your 8 pin I think you'll find there are blank/ missing pins you have to "number" them as if the blank ones are there.....

You can download them from MyMopar as well

Start here

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

to Service Manuals

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

and download "71 Plymouth Chassis Manual"

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1971_Plymouth_Chassis_Service_Manual.zip

Try this: This is from fig 16, page 8-163 (384) from the 71 Plymouth service manual

Ralley.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I will go through things.

Question.

This is a 1970 car, will the 1971 wire colors and location on the connector to the Circuit Board be the same?

I think I looked at the 70 manual and they don't show a Ralleye dash. I bet it's close if not exact. The sensor wiring had not changed for years. if you can post a good clear photo of the rear of your cluster, "we" can follow the circuits visually. They are easy to figure out.

Another thing to be careful of is connector numbering. In addition to numbering the skipped pins, you are looking at the rear of the cluster, clockwise from the key. So the harness is same, you are looking down as if it's connected to the cluster.

-
Back