dash install help needed?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just tried to install my completed dash for the 72 Demon. IU think I screwed up as it does not want to sit right. the two studs that pull the steering column up were actually in place when I installed it and it seem bound up. I dropped the steering column and now I think I actually see that the lower dash from has two rather large holes that are spaced the same distance apart as the steering column studs. Am I to assume that the studs need to pass thru these two holes to help support the dash in that area? So I can't pull the dash down to pop over these two studs. I am thinking I should remove the studs out of the welded nuts and re-install them after the dash goes in.?? Is that my issue here. Thanks.....

How about a pic of what you're looking at. I'm thinking what you're talking about are the studs that hold the column in place.

How about a pic of what you're looking at. I'm thinking what you're talking about are the studs that hold the column in place.
Yes. Do these two studs actually go thru the lower dash frame? My lower dash seemd to be jammed up against them and appears to be wrong. I am thinking the dash fromhas two holes there for these studs to pass through? So another words you have to have the steering column dropped all the way off these two studs so the dash frame will go over the studs first and then put the steering column back up asnd tighten the stud bolts???

I think you have the right idea, but a pic would be worth a thousand words.

Yes the studs go through the dash. I installed mine by myself, with no help. I would not do that again. The windshield was already in (planned) I dont remember having to loosen the column support. Seems to me I hung the dash on the side bolts (one the ends of the dash), I may have removed the driver's side bolt to drop down a bit and to get it up into the column support studs.

Unlike the factory, I reversed the screw nut / clips up by the windshield so I can / could get the dash in / out with windshield in place

TIP: Flip the speed nut clips that hold the top, upside down and bolt from the bottom, that way you can pull it with out taking the windshield out.

TIP: Flip the speed nut clips that hold the top, upside down and bolt from the bottom, that way you can pull it with out taking the windshield out.

I got it. Had to unscrew the two column studs which helped to rotate the dash into p[lace. It is an a/c car so I doubt once it is done I will be removing this dash ever again. The a/c really makes for tight spaces up under the dash. Hopefully I will never have to take it out again. I have also forgot to install the two vent hoses up to the dash vents. I hope I can do it now with the dash in, but if I can't I will just rotate the dash out again before installing the new windshield..... Then I got some A/C Heat control wires to hook ap and also some vacuum lines for the same. Hope I am not forgetting anything...???

-
Back