Dash instrument lights change: semi failure?

-

scott_s

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried to pull the dash in my '65 Valiant 200 to swap out some dead bulbs with LED's. I followed the instructions here; removed battery negative cable, loosened steering column support, unscrewed ignition switch retainer ring, etc.

Then things started fighting me. I couldn't get the speedo cable broken loose from underneath the dash. OK...I'll pull the dash forward, use some pliers to break it loose and then unscrew by hand. Except, no matter how hard we tried, I couldn't get the dash out past the turn signal housing. I completely removed the steering column bracket and was pulling down HARD. There's just no way the bottom of the dash will clear the turn signal housing.

The semi circle at the bottom of the dash is 2 13/16". The turn signal housing is 3 1/4" wide.
The turn signal housing is 1 3/4" from the dash.
Maybe someone has changed something on my car, but there's no way this thing was coming out the front with this current setup.
dash interference.jpg

We eventually did our best contortionist impression and, with the help of my wife's tiny hands, we got four bulbs swapped out.
The dash is much improved. However, I did lose the oil light for some reason. It worked before, but not after we put everything back together. Checked the multi pin plug three times. Swapped the oil light bulb, etc.,....still no worky.
We gave up on swapping out the hi-beam indicator, which has never worked.

Is there something different about my column that is keeping the dash from "just pulling out" like everyone says?
Can you think of anything to check to see why the oil light stopped working?

Oh, yeah... next up is the PRNDL light in the gear indicator. Will I absolutely NEED a steering wheel puller, or will the steering wheel come off by hand, so I can get access to that bulb?

And I'll probably change the bulb in the aftermarket tach to match, too.

Should have taken the screws out of the base of the column where it passes through the fire wall. This would have provided much better articulation of the column. You will need a puller for the steering wheel.

Not familiar with the early girls, but the 67/ later, the cluster sort of "hinges" towards you and tips down, then you can slide it clear of the speedo protrusion. If you cannot get the cable loose, "try the other end". Unscrew from the transmission, release the various clips, and work the cable up/ free so you can pull some cable out of the firewall into the passenger compartment

-
Back