dash lights 68 cuda?

-

mrblugil

Reaction score
lights on gauge side are very dim,can only read gas gauge,the other three very hard to see,before I pull dashout can anyone tell me if there are separate bulbs for each gauge or is there only one near the fuel gauge?

On my 68 Dart, there are 5 (I think) dash lamps. You don't neet to pull the dash out if you (or someone you know) can lay on the floor with your feet up over the seat all contorted like. The lamp holders may be brittle though, I ended up replacing mine. If I can figure out where I ordered them from I'll let you know. They came in a 10 pack I think, and not very expensive. (maybe e-bay)

mrblugil,

i have had the dash out of my 68 fastback s several times during the restoration. this is a VERY difficult and FRUSTRATING procedure, however, let me share what i've learned about the easiest way to do it:

1. it is a LOT easier if you remove the steering wheel. if you do not want to do that, you can still get the dash out.

2. if you don't take the steering wheel off, proceed to remove the plastic "U" trim piece on the steering column at the bottom of the dash. then remove both nuts on the steering column u-clamp allowing the steering column to drop down about 2 inches.

3. remove all the phillips screws on the face of the dash - be sure to take every screw out completely from the dash.

4. now tilt the dash forward tilting the top of the dash assembly out about 2-3 inches. at this point, try to take a picture of all the wires and plugs before you disconnect them so you can be sure to plug all back in correctly. pull the assembly out enough to get your hand between the top of the dash and the assembly and disconnect the three or four major wire plugs and the speedometer cable. once you have all these wires disconnected, the entire dash assembly will tilt forward to where you can pull it out of the dash.

5. BE VERY CAREFULL! - when you tilt an a-body plastic dash assembly forward the right hand side of the dash is vunerable to breaking!! the thin plastic that extends around 5 inches over to the glove compartment door will break off if you don't do this carefully and SLOWLY!

6. there are six (i believe) dash light bulbs in the back of the assembly. these lights are removed by turning them slightly (clockwise i believe). be carefull with these sockets because the tabs that hold them into the dash are plastic and very brittle. replacement bulbs can now be purchased from a number of resto vendors or on ebay. i always test every socket and bulb before i put it back into the dash with a 12 volt battery charger switched on 2 amp. if the light lights put it in the dash.

7. putting the dash back in is harder than taking it out. you may or may not be able to get all the wire plugs plugged back into the dash from the top as you put it back in. and you may or may not be able to hook up the speedometer cable this way. be prepared to lay on your back on the floor to get everything connected again.

8. here's something i found helpful: get one of those "mirrors on an extendable post" and a very bright light to place under the dash illuminating everything. use the extended mirror to look at all the wire connections at the top of the dash once you push the dash assembly back into the dash.

finally, BE PATIENT!!! i have never removed and reinstalled the dash in my 68 cuda in less than 2-3 hours!! i'm sure there are other FABO "micanics" than can do this procedure much quicker but after doing this now about 10 times, i still can't do it easily.

good luck...

one other thing, because pulling this dash is SUCH a pain in the "you know what..." before reinstalling, i would suggest taking the dash apart and cleaning the gauges and gauge plastic covers. a good cleaning does make the dash look much better. this dash is not hard to take apart on a bench or table. just take all the screws out of the cast metal electric assembly first and this assembly will lift off of the rest of the assembly. you can then access and dismantle the guage covers. if you do this, BE CAREFULL when you lay the guage assembly down - DO NOT LAY IT GAUGE DOWN ON ANYTHING!! you will catch and bend the indicator needles on the guages if you do that...

Not sure if this will help you.... but I had a hard time seeing my gauges in my 65 Cuda so I found some SYLVANIA Premium White LED bulbs (194LED.BP / 6000K) sold @ Auto Zone... Now I can see the gauges really well...
And I just reached under the dash (with feet up in the air... ) easy breezy ...:coffee2:

Rally panel has only 4 bulbs for illumination. These are spread somewhat evenly from left to right in the middle of up down. $ others around center pod for indicators is 8 total. The little screw with kept washer beside the bulb position is part of the ground path. The copper beneath the screw and everything related probably needs a good cleaning.
The bulb I use is Sylvania 2825 available most anywhere.

Thanks guys,never an easy fix I guess,I'm pushing 80 so there ain't no way I'm gonna lay upside down underneath,hell if I could get in that position I don't think I could ever get back out,thanks again you guys are all great

If I had to guess it isn't the bulbs.....the dash lights are powered from a roundish grouping of wires that attach to the dash to the driver's right of the fuel/amp/oil/temp cluster. All the wires slip onto copper pins that have often corroded on the dash panes I've had......If you take the time to take the dash out (I totally agree - drop the steering) take the time to look at the pins.

Thanks guys,never an easy fix I guess,I'm pushing 80 so there ain't no way I'm gonna lay upside down underneath,hell if I could get in that position I don't think I could ever get back out,thanks again you guys are all great

The rally panel has 2 circuit board , 2 harness connectors, and a orange illumination wire going to both. 2 lamps supplied by each.
There are several ways to go about inst' panel R&R. If physical issues prevent your working hard, you have to work smart.
You don't need to lay upside down or take the seat(s) out. You would need to lean over the drivers fender and reach in under the hood for a bit. Then you would need to get on your knees outside the drivers door opening for a bit.
I don't want the type out all the details in my method to the madness but I would rather talk you through it than to have your local garage do you more harm than good.
Got a grandkid handy ?

LoL... I hear you on that... Fact is I'm knocking on the door to be 70... However, I do just that for my friends who can't get under their dashes... whom some are in their 40's... I'm skinny and agile... for my age. (so far... knock wood)

I have a few friends who found it was easier to remove the front seat and just lay on the floor... then to remove the gauge panel from the dash... (and some of my LARGER Friends will remove the seat to remove the dash panel) Just saying... Enjoy your ride~

Clif of Az:coffee2:

-
Back