Dash lights and more

-

Yote

Reaction score
Re: 1972 Demon. Didn't have instrument panel lights before, but now suddenly I have a couple that light up on the right side. The rest still dont work. All new bulbs, sockets and light switch.
Fuel gauge still fails to work after a new sending unit was installed . Grounded wire at tank with no needle movement. Wiring appears good, checked connector by drivers kick panel.
Also have a 3 wire connector under glove box ( brown / yellow tr, blue/white tr, and tan .
Branching off before the connector is a yellow wire going to the door switch. What is this connector supposed to feed ? Your help would be appreciated to solve my issues .

More then likely the printed circuit board has failed. that is the instrument cluster printed circuit board. Might be able to fix yours, but you can get a re-popped one I think. If you can solder, you might be able to fix yours.

Thanks Tim. Not looking forward to going in there again. Hooking up my speedo cable was almost more than my old attitude could bear.

Very first quetion is "do ya" have a service manual. You can download one free from MyMopar, and several of those over there came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

I would at this point plan on yanking the cluster out. You likely have PC board issues, most of which are fixable. If you "get into" that there are earlier posts on this board we can help you find

"Some of" what to look for:

Poor PC board ground.........add a separate ground pigtail

Poor instrument regulator socket connections........solder jumper across from IVR contacts to board traces

Poor cluster connector pins to PC board......solder/ repair pins to pc board traces

Poor gauge stud connections to PC board.......loosen / retighten stud nuts, or replace "fake" nuts

Corroded / oxidized PC board traces at lamp sockets. Poor springs / corrosion in sockets.

If both gauges are acting up, a bad instrument regulator / limiter.

New sockets? On some new sockets the contacts do not actually do any contacting of the circuit board. The contacts on the bulb sockets need to be tweaked a little. Since some of the bulbs work one assumes the switch and circuit to the cluster are both intact.

For the fuel gauge you can check for a varying voltage at the wire pulled from the sending unit when the ignition is on. If it is there the circuit is intact. Or you can pull the wire off the temperature sender on the engine and check for a varying voltage there. If you have it either place the cluster voltage regulator is doing something. If you have it at the engine but not the fuel sender you have a circuit fault between the cluster and the tank.

What is reg/ limiter? Only manual I have is ' 75 motors manual. Have wireing schematic which seems to be lacking some of the more "unimportant " wiring. Temp gauge appears to be working correctly. Turn signal indicators do not work ,but signal lamps do. You guys knowledge continues to impress me but some of it is beyond my understanding.

What is reg/ limiter? Only manual I have is ' 75 motors manual. Have wireing schematic which seems to be lacking some of the more "unimportant " wiring. Temp gauge appears to be working correctly. Turn signal indicators do not work ,but signal lamps do. You guys knowledge continues to impress me but some of it is beyond my understanding.

Please read my post above. You can download a manual, free

If the indicators don't work it is likely troubles right there at the cluster.........harness connector pins problems, or dirty/ loose / corroded sockets and or bulbs

Dang, Dart were you perhaps a Mopar engineer in your previous life ???? By the way, I love your quote .

Dang, Dart were you perhaps a Mopar engineer in your previous life ???? By the way, I love your quote .

Nope just old. Got interested in electronics early in life, in Jr High school. Had my ham license before I got out of high school. First Mopars in spring on 70 while stationed in San Diego in the Navy.

This thread here shows some about repairing "stuff" on the PC board

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234045

My genuine thanks for your service . Wish you were close, I think you could have this dang thing fixed in fifteen minutes , then we could visit. My claim to service was 1A untill physical then 4F, missed Nam.

Much thanks Dart, Tim ,Wrench and Valiant. Believe I may have found ALL my problems . Won't know for sure until I get my instrument panel back in . Now waiting on paint so I can make it look better.

-
Back