Dash Lights

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
I have two cars, 69 GTS and a 70 GTX.
The dart has the brightest dash lights ever seen in an old Mopar! Wonderful on this old farts eyes.
The GTX however is so dull you can barely tell they are on let alone read the gauges at nite.
I have read several threads on getting voltage regulated to the gauges but none of this discussion touches on the lighting itself.
Is there any fix such as the instrument regulator discussion that would help this lighting issue?
All of the lights work, none burned out, they just are not bright at all.
Thanks for the help
Darius

Most of the bulbs in a panel are for indicaters. Only a hand full actually for illumination. Then those have blue tint defuser globes.
Today we can buy brighter bulbs (led clusters) but I'm not sure those have the life span of the original style bulbs.Sure dont want to replace these often.
White gauge face overlays are another option.
What I do for my a-bodys is solder in a jumper on the headlight switch to bypass that dimmer reostat. Then clean and tighten the contacts on the printed circuit board to bulb sockets and install new OEM sytle bulbs. Simple, easy, improvement.

you can also remove the blue diffusers.

Not psychic but I knew someone would say that. Anyway...
If you do remove those globes you better super glue the bulbs in their sockets less you cross a railroad track and drop bulbs inside the panel.

Not psychic but I knew someone would say that. Anyway...
If you do remove those globes you better super glue the bulbs in their sockets less you cross a railroad track and drop bulbs inside the panel.

didn't think about that!

Put higher wattage bulbs in. There are usually different wattage bulbs in the same style base.

Chuck

Haven't done it myself, but some folks switch from the 158 to 194 bulbs.
194s have higher wattage and even come in different colors, including blue (194B).
It would be interesting to hear how the blue 194Bs work with the globes removed. Anyone want to try it?
There should be some kind of non-permanent adhesive you could use to keep the bulbs in the sockets.
Here's one source for bulbs, but you should be able to find them lots of places.

-
Back