Dash lights

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Now I just remembered the question I had!
I took the new '66 Cuda out for an evening spin and noticed the dash lights behind the gauges are pretty darn dim. I'm thinking about pulling the cluster apart and cleaning any contacts for corosion and in the bulb slots as well. I was wondering if anyone knows of a brighter bulb I can use or if anyone has tried using LEDs in their dash? If not then stay tuned, I'll see if it works! Figured LEDs would use less juice anyways and should be brighter too.

Ideas?

I'm using LED's in my 69 Fastback, they are a huge improvement. I also took the blue filters of the back of the cluster. You will see them if you have them. I got the bulbs from superbrightleds.com (St Louis, MO), I am using both the 4 WLED and the 5 WLED bulbs. Read their website to find out what might work best for you, and buy them from where ever you want. The main thing to watch our for is polorized bulbs, the only work one way. This can be a pain if you need to change a bulb and put it in backwards. You would have to pull the socket out, turn the bulb and put it back in.

One other thing you might want or need to do is change your flasher to an electronic one. If you don't put LED's in the directional sockes, then you won't need it, but it will not hurt if you use one with normal bulbs.

How bright do you instrument lights need to be? I've had problems dimming them reliably on several vehicles. Nothing destroys your night vision like having an over lit instrument panel blasting you in the face.

Replace the bulbs/holders, and perhaps the light switch. This should make them as bright as they need to be and then some.

If the lights are constantly dim the problem is in the system between headllight switch and bulb. If the light dim at idle and blare up nicely at higher rpm the problem is in the entire cars electrical supply and showing itself in the lights. That will lead you to the altenater, regulator, and wiring through the bulkhead, amp gauge, chassis grounds, etc...
You likely have a mere 36 amp altenater. Not much compaired to todays high amp units but it was sufficient when the car and parts were all new. To upgrade to a higher amp isolated field unit and solid state regulator is a common solutition. This is really just override the problem. Whatever it is that contains resistance today will only get hotter and surely melt down and show itself eventually. Good luck

Theres nothing wrong with the charging system. When I turn the knob to brighten/dim the dash lights its kind of iffy, . . . goes brighter then cuts out, brighter . if you find the "happy place" it stays fine. Driving v.s idle has no difference. They dont dim and extra with the headlights on or even the highbeams.
I think its just a matter of cleaning the contacts, I'm sure the light knob has some corosion on it and the blub sockets too. After finding some other posts about LED dash lights I think I will order some. I'm going to sick with stock bulbs for everything other than the gauge back lights; those get LED.
One question, as I looked on the site for the LEDs (superbrightLED.com) I think, i see someone talked about polarized light problems here. What EXACT bulb are you guys using in your dash? There are the "normal" LED bulbs with 6 or so LEDs that have 12 or so lumens and then the other "funky" polarized more expensive ones that kick out 60+ lumens. Which would you reccomend?

Anyone upgrade their headlights? Thinking about something a little more bright there too. I drive in detroit so being seen is a big deal lol, crazy city drivers :(

On another note, thinking about disk brakes upfront. Is it really worth going with Power disks or would manual disks give me enough of an upgrade over my manual drums. I have small bolt ralleys on it now with drums X 4.
I might buy a "junkyard" conversion kit my buddy has from a 74 dart with disks up front or are there any good aftermarket small bolt disk kits?

OK you pretty nuch answered your own question. Buy a headlight switch or solder a jumper over the dimmer reostat and have bright as possible dash lights at at all times.

Go to Auto Zone and pick up their 194 LED bulbs and you will have nice bright amber dash lights. I did it and it looks cool and is easy on the eyes at night. It is a exact fit.

-
Back