Dash Pad. After Market or Have Restored?

-
I had just dashes redo my dash and arm rests. I could not find a new one in the color I needed at the time or one that could be dyed. The price is to high there quality is not that good they are not factory correct and they are very rude and acted like they were to good to recover my dash or even take the time to talke with me. Then they talked down to me like I was stupid because I asked some questions about how much and what all they do to the parts to restore them.

I will never use them again.

DartInterior.jpg

Just got mine from pg classics looks great. I will let you know how it looks when it's installed. The only thing that looks different to me is the grain of the vinyl but for $195.00 you can't go wrong. I believe they sell to BE/A both places are awesome for repo parts.

I also spoke to Just Dashes, and I got the impression that my money just wasn't green enough for them. They obviously don't need the business.

I'd cover my dash in bubble gum wrappers before I'd give them a dollar.

And I have yet to purchase a single aftermarket reproduction part that was worth a damn. I spent over $800 with Dante's Parts for interior parts because I read here that he had good stuff. It was all manufactured by R.E.M. Automotive, and every piece was crap.

The reproduction aftermarket for our cars is totally pathetic.

Just got mine from pg classics looks great. I will let you know how it looks when it's installed. The only thing that looks different to me is the grain of the vinyl but for $195.00 you can't go wrong. I believe they sell to BE/A both places are awesome for repo parts.

I've seen picturesof the BEA/PG pad side by side with an NOS 1971 pad and the grain was almost if-not dead on. I believe the later A-body pads 76 and some years prior have a different grain than the earlier ones. The comparison pics were posted on Moparts. I try to find the link.

BEA says they are in the works on a 68 A-body pad. That is supposed to be the very next pad they are going to do.

I don't think there is a hard plastic repro. It's actually like a solid rubber cast resin piece. They don't fit well to the metal dash frame either. With those you can see small air bubbles in the surface.

I'm lucky enough to work at an aircraft repair facility with an interior shop. After getting the same negative vibes from Just Dashes that some others have reported (plus even higher prices since I wanted both upper and lower of a 68 Barracuda done) I asked them about it.
They filled all of the crackes and holes with an epoxy type Bondo, chemically cleaned al of the surfaces and glued Ultraleather over it. Apparently, it is standard practice for airplane glareshields.
The boys claim that any good interior shop should be able to do it for under $200 for the upper and another $200.00 for the lower. They did say that because Mother Mopar has so many compound curves on the Barracuda lower dash, the shop would probably have to order Ultraleather WITHOUT backing so that it can be stretched enough. I don't know what that might cost.
The only problem (unless you are looking for Concourse quality original matching) is that the ends have to be sewn and filled, this is visible if you look closely enough. On the Barracuda this only occurs at the steering column so it is almost invisible.

Cuda 036 (Small).jpg

I just put a cap on my dash and to be honest for anything other then a concours correct resto I cant say I would ever spend the money on a $300 pad, The cap looks great and for $65 how do you go wrong ?

I contacted BEA about the 68 pad since my dash was pulled due to paint. I asked them about the 68 pad, they said it was in production and being released "soon." I asked what "soon" was and what price (if it would be like the 69-on pad), and all I got for a response was.. "so you want it fast and cheap??" I was kinda insulted and really thought this was a poor way to do business. Maybe I hit a wrong nerve or something. But, here I am, a customer ready to buy, and I was insulted. My car reassembly is waiting on whatever happens with this pad.

I've seen picturesof the BEA/PG pad side by side with an NOS 1971 pad and the grain was almost if-not dead on. I believe the later A-body pads 76 and some years prior have a different grain than the earlier ones. The comparison pics were posted on Moparts. I try to find the link.

BEA says they are in the works on a 68 A-body pad. That is supposed to be the very next pad they are going to do.

I don't think there is a hard plastic repro. It's actually like a solid rubber cast resin piece. They don't fit well to the metal dash frame either. With those you can see small air bubbles in the surface.

I work at a mopar only restoration shop uscartool.com , all we use is just dashes, they do awesome work, never heard of the other place, but trust me the just dashes work is amazing and if you have the money go ahead and use them

I had BAD dealings with Ultimate Rides and would NOT reccomend them. I am not happy with them or there quality of work. They didn't send my original frame back as promissed. First pad they sent the workmanship was terrible I had to sent it back. Second pad was better but not 100%. Communications with them was terrible they would not tell me what had happend with my original frame. They said the one they had sent to me was mine but I had engraved the metal frame so I knew it wasn't. They had said 5 weeks I would have my pad back to me. It took a total of aprox.three months to get the pad that I had to install. I had tryed to get a discount for 1-the bad workmanship and lossing my original frame 2- waiting as long as I did . They told me they would check into it and get back to me the next day well that was a month ago or so. Also they want to be payed before they do the work. Now I know why .

Well, I'm completely frustrated. :-( PG Classics has given me the complete run around about ther 1968 A-body dash pad they have promised since October of last year. In December, the 1968 A-body pad appeared on PG Classics website. I ordered my pad on Jan 13. When my pad didn't arrive I gave them a call and was told it would be about 4 weeks since the manufacturer was still working on it. SOOOO, I wait 5 weeks before returning a phone call to be told that it would be probably 4-5 months more. Then, whoever I was talking with said, "let me check something out... wait, I have one on the shelf!!" So, they promised to send it out immediately. Since I didn't get a confirmation number, I called back today to get someone who told me it was a mistake and it would be "a while" before the pad would be available... I explained my frustration and how my car couldn't be reassembled correctly without the pad, and all I got was... "yeah... we could refund your money"... so now I have requested a refund. I'm going to call back in a hour to get a confirmation number. I'm really not trusting PG Classics right now....

I made the choice to avoid Just Dashes because it looked like PG Classics was going to be able to deliver a better product. Now I have wasted 6 months waiting on empty promises. Great....

On my 67 GTS I had seats covered in gray twead and he also covered my dash with same material and custom made door panels with gray and red designs and covered sunvisors trimmed in red. I know some may say not original but neither is the Hensley 499 stroker. It has been through 13 years and a tornado and still looks great.

Does anyone have current contact info on dashmasters / Ultimate rides ? I gave there sales guy Allen my core back in March and paid for the new one .He assured me it would be a 3 - 4 week lead time at most . Middle of July and still no dash !! Now Allens phone is disconnected and the # I have for there business just gos to voice mail and nobody calls you back . Are they still in business ?? Any help will be much appreciated ......
angryfire.gif

-
Back