Dash Pad removal?

-

72DartCustom

Reaction score
Its a 72' Dodge dart. the pad material is completely gone and just the metal structure of the pad is left. Well I figured the glove box and guage cluster needed removing, but im having a little trouble with the guage cluster..I removed all the screws, but it seems like I need to unplug some stuff behind it. How would I go about doing that? any tips? anything else needing removal?

disconnect neg' battery cable. The retainer clip on the speedo cable is offwhite colored plastic and resembles 1/2 of a wooden clothes pin. Squeeze it to the cable sheathe and pull it straight away from the instrument. the 2 large wires on the amp gauge wear hex nuts and internal toothed washers. You'll need a 3/8 socket or end wrench on those.
The factory service manual would be a great help ( to both of us ) and it's a free download here somewhere. good luck

well I guess my main problem is that the cluster doesnt come out far enough to disconnect anything and there is not enough space under the dash for me to get to it. It probably comes out a whole 1 1/2" and gets hung up. by which im assuming is the cables and wires behind it since all the screws are removed.

You may have to drop the steering column to get the clearance to remove the cluster. I had to on my 72 Demon.

I have found if I remove the one screw holding the fuse box to the dash I can carefully lift the fuse box out of its bracket and place againxt the bracket. This lets me reach the release button on the headlight switch knob so I can remove it and that switch bezel nut. Leave the switch in the dash rather than fight its harness connector. Then there is more space to get a hand on the speedo cable.

-
Back