dash refurbish help...?

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
I need help, ideas or tips on how to clean up and refurbish my instrument panel and heater control panel. the previous owner painted over it and it looks pretty bad. I have already stripped most of it down, but now I need to think about painting it...

Was it originally chrome around the edges or grey (69 dart)? Has anyone else done this and how did they do it? I was going to tape it all off and use that spray paint that is for plastic stuff. Grey or silver around the edges and a flat black for the inside area.

thoughts? Any other threads on this exsit, I could not locate any.

I'm pretty sure it was originally chrome around the edges. Here's the deal with that. Most car's interior trim chrome has faded to silver or yellow. You can pay a couple hundred and have it all nice and shiny chrome, or you can pay $5 for a rattle can chrome that'll dull out but still look decent. For small trim area's that don't need to be highly reflective, it should work fine. Just mask and spray. I'd use SEM trim black from Eastwood for the black black on the inside. It lays down nicely.

I didn't do the trim on this bezel because it still matches the trim to the rest of my dash. I did repaint the inside though.

Picture041.jpg

Picture063.jpg

thanks for the input... Sound like I am on the right track. Just want to make sure I am not wasting my time and do this once.

It is actually a powder coat type process, and not actually chrome plated, if I remember right it is an aluminum powder that is electrostatically applied. It is suprising that with the availability of home powder coating products that no one has a kit to reproduce it.

This is "Alsa Chrome"........spray silver nitrate emulsion, then a clearcoat......Sometimes it comes out pretty good, other times so so........tricky stuff.

You can also use a decent metallic silver spray, BUT clears, for the most part, tend to "dull" the metallic shine.

Attachments

• 102_0212.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 174
Where would one find the also chrome? That looks pretty good.

This is "Alsa Chrome"........spray silver nitrate emulsion, then a clearcoat......Sometimes it comes out pretty good, other times so so........tricky stuff.

You can also use a decent metallic silver spray, BUT clears, for the most part, tend to "dull" the metallic shine.

Google Alsa Products Killer Chrome .
The bezel should be chemically stripped. Clear and colored lenses removed. Chrome all the white plastic face side. Use liquid mask, tape, testors , whatever to detail paint. It's a pains taking process.

wow, that stuff ain't cheap! But you get what you pay for right?

You get what you pay for, BUT........it depends on your previous spraying and detailing experience.......How good it turns out will reflect your patience and determination.

ALSA Chrome PAint....is OK at best! the prep work required for a decent finish is lengthy as in REALLY LONG!!! and the results are typically so so on a regular basis...you can get lucky but it is rare. Additionally if you touch it or try to clean it after it is done....you prolly wont like that part either...... for the cost either paint it silver or sent to the aluminum guys...but that aint all its cracked up to be either..... my exp. regular paint is the most durable for plastic parts

-
Back