Dash restoration

-
What about the vin tag? Did you transfer or just not care?
Saved it and will be restored and riveted back in place.

ECS - Transfer and Rivets.
ECS Automotive Concepts - FACTORY EXACT VIN PLATE TRANSFER

62.gif

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but they were satin/dull finish from the factory to reduce the effect of the suns reflective glare on the windshield.
Agree ^
To try to get the factory "Suede" look/feel I sprayed the final coats holding the can a little further away so it went on a little "Dry"
Not too far or it ends up just being over spray... I played around with it a little. May not be a perfect match to the factory texture but happy with the results.

If someone hasn't mentioned it, a nice "factory" finish can be had with black Rustoleum textured black. Works nicely on hoods and steering columns. I used it on an A12 hood and it worked perfectly rather than messing around with the Organizol stuff which is a pain. Secret to using this is to prime with black primer, then spray the texture coat.

Here's an example of a powder coated one I did for CudaGirl and Cosgig ... semi gloss black on the assembly and components with a different color inside the ash tray.

078.JPG

036.JPG

I stripped all the paint off with a DA sander and 180 grit paper. Then i did bodywork on the small dents the frame had. and welded up holes the prev owners put in for mounting stuff in the past. Then i used rustoleum textured black rattle can over dupont laquer primer. You kinda have to fog it on there to get the texture effect nice and even. I thought it came out good.

20151126_174644.jpeg

After trying them all, the ones that were "designed" for powder coating use are nothing but crap in my opinion.
Agree. I tried some stuff sold by Eastwood called liquid Metal that was crap. I will try the Permatex stuff.

-
Back