Dash speaker

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Does anyone make a nice replacement dash speaker for a '66 A-body that will fit without modification and will work with a stock radio? Some of the ones I've looked at seem to stick down too far and might interfere or rub on something. I haven't actually tried any yet though. Maybe some of you have run into the same situation. My stock one is totally blown out and I'm not going with an aftermarket, so, no need to get high-tech crazy here. Can the stock one be reconed for a decent price? Who does it? Thanks.

You can get your speaker re-coned. A bit more expensive than a cheap replacement (~60.00 for me locally)

One thing to watch out for is 8 ohm vs 4 ohm speakers. I have seen in print that our stock radios need 8 ohm or the output transistor can be harmed.

If you only find a 4 ohm you can add a 5 watt 4 ohm resister in series with the speaker wire.

I have on OEM loose if you would like some measurements

Thanks, I have mine out too. Doing a restoration and found the cone shredded. I guess I'll have to look around to see if anyone locally recones these things.

Last edited:
I am doing a restoration- so I went for a re-cone because it preserves the part number stamped on the frame.

There are reconning services online. I can't recommend the guy reconning mine yet. I sent it to him in November. By end of December he returned it. But he used a 4 ohm voice coil do he is redoing it. ( I had specified 8 ohm voice coil)

You can also buy a reconning kit and try it yourself, be aware that there are a few 4x10 cones and voice coils and they have different shapes and heights and sizes.

If you can't find anyone local, I have a place up here that does excellent reconing. I've had him do many pairs for me. Drop me a PM if you need more info.

-
Back