dash turn indicator problem

-

mod5v

Reaction score
For a while now when its cool in the morning my right turn indicator in the dash wont light(blink) after everything warms up good it starts working. Just this week the left indicator started to do the same thing. The outside lamps on all corners work fine even when there is no indication on the dash. All other lamps work fine in the dash what would be the first place to look ?

I would check the bulbs in the dash first. It is possible that the filaments in the bulbs have cracked and the cool weather contracts the filament to the point they don't touch until they warm up again. They also may be close enough to make the circuit from the bouncing of the car but will eventually fail completely. Since the outside lights flash, the flasher circuit is working and the dash indicators are usually wired in parallel to the outside lights. While you have the dash out, I would check all the bulbs as they are usually close to the same age and will start failing around the same time especially the dash illumination bulbs. Keep in mind too that an older filament in a bulb is more prone to heat shock when the bulb is cold than a newer bulb. The heat shock can blow a bulb due to the sudden expansion of the filament when the bulb lights but usually isn't a problem in cars until the bulb gets old and the filament is wearing thin.

Could be a weak connection between the bulb socket and the copper trace too. I'd pull the panel, clean all the pcb trace and replace all the bulbs or just trade it. LOL

Ok so I'm going to pull the guage panel there is no way your going to get this car. LOL I'm thinking that its a poor ground issue but we will see.While I'm in there I'm going to change all the bulbs even though they aren't that old. I need to brighten things up as the back light is very dim I have to have the dimmer all the way up to even see at nite. Also my amp guage dosen't work at all so I'm going to bypass it so I don't have to worry about it melting down. This is all on my 76 duster by the way.

Well got it all cleaned up and new bulbs and double checked and cleaned all contacts and grounds and the RH dash indicator works but the LH still wont. Anyone have a steering column and under dash wireing diagram? Theonly other thing I can thinkof is the pins on the curcit board not making good contact. I dont have a soldering iron here so I may have to wait for a while untill I get one and try and solder the pins. It looks like they are just crimped from the factory.

Well got it all cleaned up and new bulbs and double checked and cleaned all contacts and grounds and the RH dash indicator works but the LH still wont. Anyone have a steering column and under dash wireing diagram? Theonly other thing I can thinkof is the pins on the curcit board not making good contact. I dont have a soldering iron here so I may have to wait for a while untill I get one and try and solder the pins. It looks like they are just crimped from the factory.

Try pulling out a socket and bulb that is known to be working and put it in your non working receptacle in the circuit board. I just had the same problem and found that it was the stupid bulb holder that was not working...Good Luck!

I changed the flasher unit and now both sides work. I had a spair laying around. I really think this problem has to do with current draw but I'm not that good of and electrition to say for certain. What made me change the flasher was the sound or frequency of the "blinker" was diffrent from left to right. Now the frquency is the same. I just don't get how changing the "flasher" makes a diff becouse it's just a 2 wire deal and both sides go thru the same contacts?

Could be a weak chassis ground at one of your front fixtures.

Once that gets bad enough theat indicater will come on with the park lamps.
Otherwise the contacts in your signal switch are going bad. Very little else it can be.

Anyway... its working till it quits again. :)

I changed the flasher unit and now both sides work. I had a spair laying around. I really think this problem has to do with current draw but I'm not that good of and electrition to say for certain. What made me change the flasher was the sound or frequency of the "blinker" was diffrent from left to right. Now the frquency is the same. I just don't get how changing the "flasher" makes a diff becouse it's just a 2 wire deal and both sides go thru the same contacts?

Several of my lights in the dash would work part time. After cleaning the circuit board and even replacing it twice (80 Step-Side) and replacing the bulbs a few times, I bit the bullet and went to the parts store and ask if they the bulb holders. They did and that solved my problem. They seem fail proof but I know better now. BUT most electrical problems are from bad grounds.

Just thinking out loud.

-
Back