Daughter at college hemi ram won't start

-

Shadow

Reaction score
05 ram 5.7 cranks over ok.
Had her check fuel pump fuse and relay in fuse box under hood both checked out ok, don't know where to have her check next. Truck has 115,000 miles on it. I'm guessing fuel pump but I'm 150 miles away. I just talked to her again and were trying to reset computer by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Any ideas? Thanks guys!!

Have her squirt some ether, or carb cleaner in the throttle body. If it fires, then your lacking fuel. If not, it could be lacking spark.

Have her squirt some ether, or carb cleaner in the throttle body. If it fires, then your lacking fuel. If not, it could be lacking spark.

Good suggestion.

If she or someone has a hammer available, find the low spot in the tank and give it a rap or two, see if it starts.

I told her that would be my next check would be to put some fuel directly into the intake to see if it would fire for just a second but I think that could be beyond her knowlege under the hood, but that would definitely tell us if it is fuel or spark.
I may have to make a road trip if it doesn't fire up when she reconnects the battery.

Open fuel cap and listen for pump to turn on when the key is turned to ON position.

I tried to get into that site posted above but couldn't get into
It

To read the codes on your vehicle, you will need a code reader or tuner that has a code reading funciton, such as a Superchips. Some vehicles support the key trick, and will display the codes on your odometer, some do not.

The Key Trick:
1. With the engine off, turn the key to "RUN"
2. Turn key to "OFF"
3. Turn key to "RUN"
4. Turn key to "OFF"
5. Turn key to "RUN"
6. Look at the odometer, any codes should display or if no codes display it will read "done."

Badsport, do you think the fuel pump might be locked up and just need a little jarring to free it up?

So three times to run position and off may get some codes? I'll call her and see what we get.

Badsport, do you think the fuel pump might be locked up and just need a little jarring to free it up?

Well, if it starts after thumping on it then it will need replaced, because it will do it again.

I have had one Chivvie work van and one Dodge pickup do it. Both times after rapping on the tank they started.

Need to make sure to find the LOW spot on the tank, that's where the pump is.

I just went out and looked at my tank, and I'm guessing it's right about in the center, have to look for the low spot.

She doesn't have to hit it real hard, just two or three moderate thumps, and it "might" go.

Did she try turning it over with the accelerator pushed to the floor??? Could be it flooded itself, and turning it over and over is just priming more fuel into the cylinders. My advice is to have her stop grinding before she needs a jump start. You have to figure out if its getting no spark or no fuel. Easy step as I mentioned above (carb cleaner in throttle body), should be able to walk her through it easily. She have a friend that can take her to a auto parts store?? Or even a "hop n shop" gas station? they all sell ether and carb cleaner. If it isn't getting spark, then all the grinding or banging in the world will be useless....

With 115k my guess would be fuel pump also. That's about where the pump went out on my Dakota. The choice is to drop the tank or set the bed back. Setting the bed back is the easy way (but it sounds harder).

Ok we will give that a try, she can definitely do that. I can try to get her to spray a shot of ether into the airbox, I'll just stay on the phone with her while she does it so I'm sure of exactly what she is doing on her end.

With 115k my guess would be fuel pump also. That's about where the pump went out on my Dakota.
Its a good guess, and could very well be it. Quickest way to tell is to see if it will fire when something is put into the throttle body. My Durango has 178,*** and original fuel pump. My sisters Dakota has 173,*** and original fuel pump. My brothers '02 caravan has 196,*** and original fuel pump. We just never know how long these parts are going to last. I would suggest most fuel pumps are running over 150k these days. But certainly one could go easily before 100K. Easy check, then no more guessing.

This works on mine 05 Ram 5.7.............

"To pull the code, do the following without starting the engine:

turn the key to the run position, off, run, off, run.
Do it fairly quick. When you are done, the codes will show in the Odometer
as the letter P followed by 4 digits. Write them all down. When its done,
it will read 'Done'. "

Also, try listening for the pump when the key is turned to the ON position. You should hear a hum or whirr for a few seconds and then it will stop.

Is your daughter mechanically inclined? Shooting stuff into the engine can be dangerous not only for her but also damage something else. Call your AAA and have it towed to someone who can help. No need to damage anything else.

Luckily so far she doesn't grind away on the starter too much, the truck has always started quickly so she knows better. Resetting the computer didn't work.

Not real mechanically inclined that's why I was thinking of staying on the phone with her while she did it

Luckily so far she doesn't grind away on the starter too much, the truck has always started quickly so she knows better. Resetting the computer didn't work.

Give the two tests a try and see what happens. I agree with 318, checking for spark with a quick shot of ether will tell lots.

Just tell her not to spray a whole bunch in there. It won't take a whole lot to make it fire.

When the pump went out on that Chivvie van I was driving it was about a year old and had around 30,000 miles on it.

Here's a pic of a similar fuel pump assembly...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Fuel-Pump-Module-Assembly-for-DODGE-RAMM-E7165M-E7180M-E7186M-/291095111875?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ARam+1500&hash=item43c69ee8c3&vxp=mtr
There's more than one rubber piece in there that can fail. One is very much like the fuel hose found on weed eaters. My point is, the pump can run up a storm and not send a drop to the engine. I've seen this a few times and I don't work on too many. Can hear the pump running through the open filler door but open the test port on the fuel rail and find nothing is being delivered.
Only other no start that I have seen on these vehicles is crank position sensor failure.

-
Back